18. Priceless Blessings

On the way back, my father keeps his guard up. He still doesn't trust me.

"What's going on?!" My mother exclaims outside the door. "What were the both of you doing?"

My father pulls my mother inside the cabin to the kitchen and whispers something to her.

...

I take a seat at the table.

Although I understand it completely, it still hurts to see my father treat me like this.

My mother and father arrive at the table and take their seats opposite.

"We have time. Explain." My father says.

...Where should I start?

"My previous life...was ordinary. My prospects and talent were average. I graduated at the age of eighteen without forming my aura, staying in the apprentice realm for many years. By then, Mane and Lee started taking lessons..." I say.

I attempt to explain as much as I can remember, as vividly as possible.

"Despite all that, I try my best to improve. Life wasn't too difficult and harsh but I took all that for granted. Your death was the start of the fall."

My father furrows his brow.

"The only explanation we had was your honourable death in an expedition a year from now. Although we were compensated, I had my suspicions and wondered aimlessly for the truth. I only found scraps of rumours and information that led to the Chief Commander Zepdas. I joined the army to learn more and was exempted after Zepdas found my intentions." My gaze goes to the table and I clench my hair. "Those bastards...someone poisoned mother a few weeks later and she was bedridden. I had to take up mercenary work to sustain mother, I'm pretty sure Mane, Lee, and Christina also took up some jobs..."

...I take a deep breath. Anger was overwhelming me.

"And the bloody war only worsened everything. Fuck..."

"..." Both of my parents stare at me.

"Anyways, I died in the land of death after accepting a risky mission, the Frozen Tundra, and somehow regressed to the past with...a blessing," I say.

Or a curse from my victim's perspective.

"So that blessing amplified your talent and gave you attributes?" My mother asks.

I nod.

...

"So where is the Loi from this timeline?" My father asks.

!

"I...don't know." my vision trembles.

...

The silence tears my soul. My family is the only thing I continue to live for and I wish for everything for them. Unfortunately, I realise the current me is not their son.

I...

I am simply an old man who took the youth of the "Loi" from this timeline.

I took away their son.

...

That thought throws my mind into an abyss. I want to cry and shout but my body refuses. A profound tapestry of melancholy weaves in my psyche.

My consciousness is ejected into a whirlpool of despair and agony.

What am I? Where am I? My body is shaking?

...

I wonder what their expression is? Anger? Sadness? I...don't have the courage to face them. Why am I such a coward?