Suspicious Minds

That same night.

After a reluctant explanation, Maya was silent for a moment. She helped stitch my nose and I put a tissue wipe on my lips. Ooo I'm glad I smacked that dumbass's face with my bag. Right now the silent treatment is bugging me. I huffed. "Can you please say something?" I begged, hint of irritation in my voice. She looked at me in shock. "What do I have to say? You're knowingly doing a case involving your best friend mom's abusive marriage, the same woman you brought to Mom and Dad's house, she moved here and wants a divorce until she saw your face with Harvey in the same room. Then you got assaulted by her husband who threatened to come after the firm's money?" She growled through gritted teeth. Her mad voice brought the hurt sensation of my cheek back. I hissed in pain and took the pack off my cheek. "Yes. And? Look Maya, I don't need a lecture. What I need is a plan." I spoke annoyedly. She nodded. "A plan to stop him? Here's an idea. You tell Harvey and Mike—I cut her off. "Hell no! No no! They can't know about this. All this will be over once this divorce is finalized. He can't do anything cause all he wants is the money—Maya cut me off by scoffing. "Can't do anything? Well it looks like he can. Either stalk you or wait for you outside the building. You need to file a police report and finalize the divorce." She told me firmly. My brain clicked. Perhaps this could work. The only problem is being in the same room with that fool for the meeting. Harvey will get ticked if something's off. I hummed. "Maybe. But I want this divorce finalized first. She deserves it. She's the one having to deal with a violent man. You didn't hear anything she said. One bleeding nose is one thing." I said. Maya rolled her eyes. "Don't forget the busted lip." She muttered. I fake smiled and rubbed the pack on it. "Forget the lip. At least I dick kicked him." I told her. A chuckle popped from my lip. She inhaled a deep breath. "But you need to tell someone. You have a team. Everyone. Like Jessica said, be a united front. Have you told anyone?" She asked. Wait, my brain clicked. Rachel. I've told Rachel. "Rachel. She knows I'm doing this case but that was before I saw Mrs. Andino." I told her. She breathed a breath of relief and nodded. "Good. Now you'll need to gather information aka evidence for a police report. We know he's abusive to his wife." She continued. I carefully rubbed my cheek. It felt a little better. "Oh my god." I mumbled in shock. She looked at me concernedly. "What?" She asked. I sat upwards and got up to run upstairs to grab my bag before running downstairs. "I forgot! It seems like we forgotten who else seen the abuse. And being the witness, his ass will be put away." I said. She stared at me weirdly. "Who else has seen—She paused seeing my smirk. Her eyes widened. "You're going to call Paola?!" She asked shockingly. I returned the gesture and nodded. "She knew their situation. Her evidence would also help. I'd hate to bring this to her but I'm doing it to help her family." I said. Maya rubbed her hair. "But how you'll see her? She's in Cali. We're here." She asked hopelessly. I inhaled a deep breath. "Then I'll ask Mrs. Andino to help get in touch with her. It's been a while since we last spoke." I told her. She nodded in understanding. "Make sure you file that police report the day, I mean the day before the meeting." She spoke in a serious tone. All I did was slowly nod and sat down to open my file folder.

******Next Morning******

At the firm, not a lot of people noticed my stitched nose. Apparently associates talk in their cubicles like a damn high school class. I kept mentally praying Rachel, Louis or Donna haven't noticed. It might be hella impossible considering I work with a Gaston-built lawyer. I sat in my office and the plan me and Maya discussed kept going through my mind. I've called Mrs. Andino this morning to see if she'd give Paola my number. And filing a police report is a whole different story. Not to mention I've got to do this before tomorrow. Jesus, this is just a crazy week! My phone buzzed. I snapped out of my thoughts and picked it up. I mentally groaned.

Twin Sis👯‍♀️❤️: have she called?

BlueQueen👑🩵: if she did I be happy.🙄

Twin Sis👯‍♀️❤️: UGH. She's probably trying to call her this second!

BlueQueen👑🩵: don't worry, I'll let Five-Oh know it took long for evidence.🤗🙄

Twin Sis👯‍♀️❤️: don't give up. How's your nose?

My office phone ringed. I picked it up and answered. "Hello?" I said. "Your Black Widow speaking. Harvey needs you right now." Donna spoke cheerily. I fake smiled. "Tell Gaston I'll be there." I told her and hung up. A few seconds passed. "DAMN!" I blurted frustratingly before grabbing my folder and walking out. Some people looked at me weirdly because of my nose and some seemed concerned. I covered my nose with the folder once Donna's desk presence was shown. I instantly rushed past her and sat in front of Harvey's desk. He stared at me weirdly. "What are you doing?" He asked. I scoffed. "Nothing! You wanted my arrival so you got it." I lied. He playfully rolled his eyes. "You think I was born yesterday? That folder covering your face. What happened this morning?" He asked, smirking. I fake laughed and crossed my legs. "So not the time Gaston. We have things to do." I sassed. He still smirked teasingly. "Then show me what'd you got on this case." He teased. I smiled, opening the folder while it blocked my nose and unfortunately two files fell. I looked down and tried picking them up. Suddenly, Donna gasped frantically. I quickly turned to see her shocked expression...toward my nose. Shit shit! I looked! I covered my nose with the folder and picked up the papers until a pair of large hands grabbed them. I instantly looked away. "Liz, look at me." Harvey spoke softly. I nodded my head no. "What's there to see? I'm alright. I'm completely fine." I assured. His hand touched my chin, making me flinch. I still covered my face. He sighed. "Elizabeth, look at me." He repeated in a calm tone. I mentally sighed. What's the damn use? If Donna saw, then he is now aware. Harvey turned my chin gently before taking the folder off my face. His eyes widened in shock for a moment. I huffed, looking down. He gathered the files and handed them to me. "Take this with you along with your stuff. Ray will take you to my apartment. He'll tell you which one. You're going to stay there until I get back. No questions." He spoke in a serious tone. He helped me up and handed me his apartment keys. I groaned slightly due to my lip. "Harvey, I'm sorry but—he cut me off. "No need to be sorry. Go ahead. I'll be there. Trust me." He promised sincerely. I walked out, not caring about anyone's reaction to my bruises and entered my office to prepare to leave. "What's going on? Did Harvey found out?" Maya asked worriedly. I didn't say anything but only put my things in my bag. "Liz?" She called. "He accidentally saw my bruises. He told me to settle in a—a hotel tonight." I partially lied. She looked at me oddly. "Ok. But hopefully Paola calls you before. Call or text me too. Don't stay out there too long. If you do, please crash at the hotel instead of walking home." She ranted worriedly. I wrapped my bag and grabbed my phone. "Thanks. See ya." I said, side-hugging her. Maya hugged back. We parted as I walked out to the elevator. I walked past the exit and found the car parked with Ray inside. He smiled sympathetically. I smiled sweetly before going to sit in the backseat. He began driving off while I stared out the window in hopes to tune out the world.

He came to a stop where a huge hotel building was present. I got out, thanking him and rode an elevator to Harvey apartment. Fancy hotels weren't a surprise. Take my family vacays for example. I unlocked the door and slowly opened. I exhaled a nervous breath. I'm used to being in a place with my friends, siblings and my parents. I shut the door and looked around the whole room in slight wonder. (Up top).