Living Up a Bet

Once we left Rachel's office, Harvey spoke. "By the way, where did you find that yaw drive anyway?" He asked. "Pulled it out of the back of a photocopier." Mike told him. I tried shaking off thoughts about Louis's dictaphone. The fact he would use it to listen on Harvey and Mike's conversations has me wondering if he'd do it in my office. Privacy is quite important to me since growing up in a family of five. We came in the conference room to see Mr. Walsh and his lawyer. "Gentlemen, as you are now in control of the company, we thought it be best to bring a problem to your attention." Harvey said. "How selfless of you." Mr. Walsh said sarcastically. My brain clicked, remembering the folder of the allegation files in Mike's hand. "These are amended copies of the allegations against your company by the Jarvis homeowners association." He said while dropping them on the table. "Nice try. I looked into those allegations. Not a single expert has backed one of their claims." He said. Mike shrugged. "Well, one has now." He said. I smirked. "Keith Hoyt." I told him. "Who better to speak to the harmful effects than the man who designed the wind farm himself?" He continued. "I think we hit a nerve." I whispered in Harvey's ear. He smirked amusedly. Mr. Walsh nodded in disagreement. "No, no, if he goes through this, that company goes out of business. There's no way he kills his own company." He said. We looked at each other then back at him. "You're right, he wouldn't. But I would, and as you pointed out, Keith's judgement has been impaired lately. So I convinced him to let me make the decisions going forward. I now have power of attorney. And I'd rather see this company worth nothing than let you have it." Harvey said as I dropped another file on the table. Mr. Walsh sighed. "This is bullshit." He growled. "Let him finish. Something's coming." His lawyer added. I crossed my arms and smirked. "And it gets better." I said. Harvey nodded. "We have three choices here. We move forward with the suit, lose-lose, we can give you your money back plus the $500,000 or you and I can play poker for it." He said. That made turn our heads in surprise. "And I'm not giving you your money back." He finished, putting up the middle finger. A amused smirk crept on my lips. My stomach got hard flies. Damn, Liz pull it together.

Sunrise was hitting. It took a few seconds until I realized Harvey wants to gamble Keith's company. I entered his office while Mike shuts the door. "Are you crazy? You're gonna gamble a man's company? What, no, you're gonna gamble for $30million?" He asked in shock. Harvey smiled slightly. "It was your idea." He said. "No, it was my idea to make him take the $500,000." He disagreed. I shoved my hands in my pockets. "Have you learned anything from gambling? A man gets drunk, plays poker and loses his company. We help him get it back, now you want to gamble to win or lose it?" I sassed. Harvey scoffed. "Of course. For winning." He answered while smirking. I returned the gesture. "No wonder women mature faster than men." I joked. He rolled his eyes. "No wonder it's a lie." He disagreed. I smiled amusedly. "There's a woman who signs your paychecks." I said, referring to Jessica. A small smirk hit Mike's face. Harvey ignored and turned to him. "But it's not $500,000, it's $3.5million. Why give him that when I could take it for free?" He said. I crossed my arms and nodded. "Let's say if you do win, I get my cut." I said. He raised an eyebrow. "Your cut?" He asked. I pretended to blow my nails. "Like $300,000. I'm not asking much. If you're up to it. Deal?" I said. Harvey smirked. "Deal." He said confidently. Yeah, gambling's wrong. If he's got the balls to gamble a man's company, I'll need the results. Mike sighed. "Ok. But let me take it." He said. "What? A minute ago, you were ready to fold. What are you gonna do if he goes all in?" Harvey asked. He scoffed. "Harvey, I know the odds in every hand before it's even dealt." He spoke in a serious tone. "His brain is like a calculator." I said, smirking. "What she said." Mike agreed. "Pick a card in your mind, any card." He told him. He scoffed. "What? Ok, what, now you're gonna tell me what the card is?" He joked. I smiled. "This is fun." I whispered. "I'm gonna tell you what it isn't. It's not one of the 52 cards in a deck because you think you're smarter than me. It's a baseball card or football card or...it's the joker." He said, raising both eyebrows. I sighed. "I told you this before. I'm gonna tell you again. I don't play the odds. I play the man." He spoke in a serious tone and headed for the door. "Well, let me tell you one thing." Mike added. My face went pale instantly. "What?" He asked, turning around. I bit my lip. "Louis bugged your office." He told him. And Harvey's face went from shock to anger real quick. "He heard our whole conversation about Tanner's lawsuit, then he ran and told Hardman." He explained. "Shit." I muttered. Harvey looked at me for a moment which made me sigh. "You just saying that to make me mad so I can focus?" He low-key growled. Mike held up the dictaphone and replayed his voice. Harvey took it off his hand. "You're not the only one who can play the man." He said. That was enough to convince him to let him play. I walked out beside him. "By the way, I choose the baseball card." I whispered. He watched me leave as he madly blushed. "So do I." He whispered.

******

As I finished preparing to leave, Harvey stopped by my door. "Hey." He spoke. I turned and smiled. "Oh, hey—I paused seeing his tense state. "Are you ok? You seem tensed." I asked. He sighed. "I don't wanna talk about it." He quickly said. My brain clicked. Louis. "You spoke to Louis did you?" I asked. Harvey nodded. "That he ran like a mouse to Hardman about the lawsuit." He said. I inhaled a deep breath. "To be honest, it made me nervous. Hearing he bugged your office to deliver information to Hardman, it almost made me think if he probably did mine." I admitted. He nodded his head no. "Elizabeth, he didn't bug yours." He said calmly. I sighed. "How do you know?" I asked, hint of nervousness in my voice. "Because he wouldn't bug your office if you had something for me. You didn't and everything is fine. Don't worry about it. Ok?" He assured softly. I inhaled another breath and relaxed my shoulders. "How was poker?" I mentioned. Harvey said nothing but put an envelope on my desk. My jaw slowly dropped. He grinned. "No! No! I won't say it! Anyone could've won!" I said, scoffing. He smacked his lips. "Oh no, a deal's a deal. You make a deal or bet, you gotta live up to it." He quoted me. "Stop quoting me!" I complained through gritted teeth. He smiled, trying not to laugh. "And I lived up to mine and won as usual. You're welcome." He said. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah." I muttered. Harvey fake gasped. "Someone's in a losing mood." He joked. "This is my annoyance mood." I sassed. My phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my bag. Two texts from Donna.

Donna🧡💅🏼: so sorry Liz! Change of plans. Got someone coming tomorrow.😉

Donna🧡💅🏼: is Thursday alright?🤗

"I'm gonna smash that phone if you don't thank me for this check." Harvey joked. I looked up and smiled. "Oh, uh thanks H. Thanks." I said before texting back.

BlueQueen👑🩵: yup! Have fun D💯

I wrapped the bag around my shoulder after putting the envelope in. I didn't realize Harvey stared the whole time. "Walk you to your car?" He offered. I smirked. "After you owned up the deal, why not?" I said. We began walking together. "So you actually believed I'd win?" He joked. I nodded my head no. "He was your client. Someone said you don't care for them but they were wrong." I said, putting up my middle finger and biting my lip. We bursted into laughter.