Caring is His Weakness

I gasped happily. "Open wide sweet!" I cooed. Avery opened her mouth as I fed her a spoonful. Her bathing products were coming tomorrow which is a relief. She chewed and opened her mouth again. I chuckled, feeding another. Maya came in the kitchen while putting her earring on. "Good morning you two. How's my beautiful niece?" She asked. Avery made grabby hands but I nodded my head no. "No baby. You have to finish eating." I told her. She whimpered, making grabby hands. "Mama." She spoke. I raised an eyebrow. "No babygirl. Mommy wants you to finish breakfast." I repeated firmly. She almost began fussy fits. Maya chuckled and looked at her in awe. "Your niece is about to make us late M." I joked. "One of the things you need to do is be spontaneous. In a motherly way. Entertain her so she could eat. You always do that when she's full." She advised. Hm, entertain her huh? My brain clicked. Ooo! I smiled. "Take the spoon. Take the spoon." I told her. Avery was still fussing. Maya grabbed the spoon as I readied myself. "Remember this song that made her laugh in the car?" I asked. She nodded but whipped her head at me. "What—I cut her off by clearing my throat. "So baby don't worry, you are my only, you won't be lonely. Even if the sky is falling down. You'll be my only, no need to worry. Baby, are you down, down, down, down, down. Down, down. Even if the sky is falling down. Down, down. Just let it be and bring your body next to me. I'll take you away and make it to our private getaway. So cmon and fly with me as we make our great escape." I playfully sung and danced. The whole time Avery laughed. Maya laughed while feeding her. I laughed more. "Mom's gonna be ticked we let her hear that!" I chuckled. She giggled. "She's pretty much done." Maya said, referring to the empty bowl. I smiled and picked her up from the high chair. I patted her back repeatedly. "Everything all set?" I asked. She checked things in her bag. "What do you mean?" She asked. "Her suitcase. Can you double check? To be sure I put everything in?" I begged. She unzipped her suitcase on the couch and checked every part. "All set! Formula, bottles, diapers, just one more thing." She told me. A burp echoed through my ear. I smiled, kissing her cheek. "Good girl. All full." I cooed. Avery wailed cutely. My brain clicked. "Oh! Her toy she needs for her teeth." I said and opened the fridge. Purple, pink and blue water-filled rings. I handed it to Maya. She put it in the suitcase before zipping it up. I carefully dressed Avery in her Onesie coat. The doorbell ringed. "Who is it? We have to go!" I whined. She smirked. "It's more of a what." She said before unlocking the door. Avery's bath products came. I picked her up and she began playing with my hair. "Great. Mommy can wash your little butt. Eh?" I joked, chuckling. She mumbled gibberishly while sucking her fist. Maya walked in, holding the packages. "We have a full day today." She spoke. I nodded and mentally remembered today's mock trial. Oh lord.

As the mock trial began, I ignored anybody who's in this room. Especially Harvey. Like I told Rachel, what happened yesterday isn't gonna make me punk out. I laid my head on my fist boringly. Jessica called Harvey to the stand. Hopefully, she grills him until he cracks. "Permission to treat the witness is hostile." She spoke. "Permission granted. He's hostile." Hardman said. Wow, didn't think a wish can come true. "The day we met, you were working in the mail room of this law firm." She said. He sighed. "I don't recall that day." He said. I lightly snorted, crossing my arms. Mike nudged my shoulder. "Well, let me refresh your memory. An associate had missed a filing, so he backdated the postage. You came to me, and you said if the firm did not declare misconduct, you would report us to the D.A." She continued. "I don't like fraud. It's no secret." Harvey spoke. "But what you did want to keep a secret was the fact that you told me, why?" She asked. "I didn't want to get in trouble." He answered. "No, you did it because if we'd won, an old woman would have lost her pension. And if anyone found out that you were the one that told me, then they'd know that you cared." She said. "Whatever you say." He said. "You pretend like you don't care, but you do. You care about the people you work with, you care about the people you work for, and you care about every one of your clients but you refuse to let people know." She said, looking at him. I listened intently though my eyes didn't leave Harvey. Rachel's right? Harvey does care? All this time he just pretends to care but he does? I tried shaking off thoughts. "Is there a question?" He asked. Jessica simply shrugged. "I just want to know why." She said. The second he didn't say anything brought them back. "No answer? Are you embarrassed?" She asked. "Nope." He quickly said. "Afraid?" She asked. "No." He said, making eye contact with me. I looked down and sighed.