"Do You Love Him?"

My evening at home was well occupied. I have a kid of course! I ordered a new baby monitor, new clothes and a crib for Avery online. Maya insisted we get her new bathing products because they have aluminum chemicals. Donna and I cancelled our ladies time this evening, basically because of this trial before real trial situation. The only thing we ever discussed on the phone is Avery. I showered and changed to my PJs after putting her to bed. Maya yawned tiredly. "I'm gonna turn in." She told me. I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?" I asked. She nodded. "I'll find the products tomorrow—She paused seeing me tense a little. I shoved my hands into my laced pockets. She smirked. "You'll be extremely fine. You done nothing wrong. It's not a real trial, remember?" She assured. I huffed, rubbing my hair. "Yes but it's preparing for the real one. Louis will question me about whether I knew of Donna shredding the document—Maya cut me off. "Which is no. You never did. This would've never happened if Donna came forward. Now we all have to hope Mike convinced her to come. Trust me things will be alright. I'll help you practice through the morning if you want to. Right now, get enough rest. I need it." She said, yawning. The doorbell ringed. We turned to the door confusedly. "Who is it?" Maya asked. I shrugged and sighed. "It's probably Mike or Rachel." I whispered. She nodded before motioning me to go. I put on my robe and walked downstairs to unlock the door. My heart skipped a beat and butterflies hit my stomach. Harvey. "Good evening Parker." He spoke while smirking. I returned the gesture. "To what do I owe the pleasure Reginald?" I joked. He rolled his eyes. I covered my mouth in a chuckle. "You've heard many awful things already." He muttered annoyedly. I inhaled a deep breath. "How you're holding up? After that?" I asked. Harvey sighed. "Fine. I came to check on you. Since tomorrow is—I cut him off. "Yeah, I know. All I could do is pray this goes well. I still got this gaining custody thing." I told him. He shrugged. "Maybe I could help. You'll need an attorney for your defense." He suggested. I smirked and crossed my arms. "Harvey, I only need guardianship for her. I'm still her mother and change her last name to Parker." I said. He nodded in understanding. "I'm still gonna be your attorney anyway. She deserves a good home." He said. I hummed in response. "True. Avery really likes you." I agreed. "Where is she?" He asked. I smiled. "Wanna go see her? I put her to bed so you have to be quiet." I asked. He raised an eyebrow. "You don't mind?" He asked in a surprised tone. I nodded my head no. "Well, my attorney was very helpful when I brought her home." I said, smiling. Harvey grinned. "My client is beautiful so why not?" He joked. "Shut up!" I whispered while chuckling. He chuckled. I let him inside and closed the door. I shushed him before going upstairs. He followed behind. My room door was fully closed. I slowly opened, showing Avery's sleep figure with her blanket wrapped. Harvey came in and approached the bed quietly. He smiled warmly, stroking her forehead. "She's so peaceful." He whispered. The world seemed to disappear as I watched him look at her as if she was an Angel from above. His attention diverted to the vase of blue roses on my dresser. "You kept them?" He whispered. I snapped out of my thoughts and cleared my throat. "Yeah. I watered them earlier. Kept them by the window." I whispered. Harvey smiled slightly. "Funny." He muttered. I looked at him weirdly. "What?" I asked. He shrugged while scratching the back of his head. "I don't know, I just thought...you would've dropped them in the trash and laugh. As if I weren't supposed to give you flowers to violate 'the friend deal.'" He told me. I scoffed, giggling quietly. "I would always accept your friendly flowers. Whether if it's my birthday or Christmas. I really do love them." I said. He smiled. "I also love your friendly coffee." He whispered jokingly. I fake gasped, putting my hand on my heart. "Why thank you! Harvey being nice." I whispered. Harvey scoffed. "Am I not nice?" He asked innocently. I smiled sheepishly. He smirked deviously and tickled my neck. I tried hard not to laugh. "You're gonna pay for that!" He playfully joked before tickling my sides. I laughed quietly. "Harvey, stop! You'll wake her up!" I whispered. He playfully rolled his eyes. "Relax, she's fine. What was in that good coffee?" He whispered. "Vanilla. I added a special coffee cream ingredient because it was black." I whispered. He smirked. "Care to share?" He whispered. I playfully shushed him with my finger. "A magician never reveals her secret." I teased. Harvey huffed but stopped when Avery stirred a bit. I breathed a breath of relief. "Can I ask you something?" I whispered. He nodded. "Why the name Avery? How did it came to you?" I wondered. A moment silence erupted. He smiled. "I could ask you the same." He said. I returned the gesture. "Surprising huh? We both thought it." I said. Harvey nodded in agreement. "What about her middle name?" He mentioned. "Sure as hell not Reginald." I joked, chuckling. "You'll never let this down, will you?" He asked in an embarrassed tone. I nodded innocently. "Any suggestions? I'm thinking of looking up some." I asked. He shrugged and smirked. "Well, what's yours?" He asked. "Hm, Annalise. But Anne for short." I told him. Harvey grinned. "That doesn't sound crappy." He joked. I playfully hit his shoulder. "I can't give her that name. It needs to be different." I said. He scoffed. "It doesn't have to be. It should be something that hits home." He whispered. I huffed. "Tell me that once I find one." I whined. Harvey checked his watch before looking up. "Alright, I should go." He said. I nodded. "Yeah, I'll walk you." I offered. We left as I closed the door quietly. I opened the door so he could step out. We made eye contact. "Good luck tomorrow." He spoke. I sighed nervously. Harvey instantly held my hand. My cheeks burned red. "Hey, everything's going to be fine. Trust me." He assured softly. I looked down at our hands intertwining. They slowly parted. I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Thanks...uh...I'll see you tomorrow." I told him. He nodded before I closed the door and leaned against it. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The memories of our hands touching clouded my mind. Every touch, every grasp, every aftershave scent I smelled. My eyes closed while I held my heart-skipping beat.