Awkward Games

6AM.

After refreshing up and showering, I happily raided my closet to get dressed into this:

I applied makeup and done my hair like this:

I sprayed my perfume and almost jumped seeing Maya's presence in the mirror

I sprayed my perfume and almost jumped seeing Maya's presence in the mirror. She smiled happily. "Good morning!" She said. We mentally stared at our outfits in shock. Hers was a black dress with dark heels. Her hair loosened and curled showing off hoop earrings. Gosh, what happened to her? "What's up with you?" I asked, smirking. Maya returned the gesture. "Could ask you too." She said. I shrugged. "I'm just in a good mood." I partially lied. She shrugged. "Me too." She spoke. Somehow she sounded a little giddy. We gathered our bags and walked downstairs. I cooked eggs as she cooked pancakes. "Where's the whip cream?" I asked, smiling though I knew. She snickered. "Liz, TMS." She told me. "What does that mean?" I asked. "Too much sugar." Maya corrected. I covered my mouth in a chuckle. "Wow Maya! Wow!" I giggled. Once our pancakes are done, we added whip cream and syrup before sitting on the counter to eat. Our phones buzzed beside our plates. We looked at each other while chuckling and realized Donna added us in groupchat.

Donna🧡💅🏼: happy hour tonight?😘🍾

Rachel💜💁🏽‍♀️: Yes!!!🤗

PrincessLiz👑🩵: about time. I was sure you'd chicken out Paulsen😏

Donna🧡💅🏼: lol I never check out when it comes to wine😌

Twin Sis❤️👯‍♀️: Happy hour at whose place?

Rachel💜💁🏽‍♀️: we can do mine (send address name)

Donna🧡💅🏼: Alright hon see u all😌😘

PrincessLiz👑🩵: u too Rach & Dee😉

Twin Sis❤️👯‍♀️: see u lovelies😊

We finished breakfast and grabbed our things before leaving the house to our cars.

In my office, I sorted out paperwork Jessica assigned me for an unknown reason. She walked in and smiled. "Elizabeth. How's everything?" She asked. I returned the gesture. "Good." I spoke and handed her the papers. "May I ask what is this for? I know Harvey and Mike are handling a poker case—She cut me off. "This doesn't involve that." She told me. And the answer I thought was true. "Is this about Coastal Motors?" I asked anxiously. Jessica nodded. "Yes. Contacting the judge to put all of this to rest. I can assure you, all will be fine." She assured calmly. She turned, heading to the door. "Was it hard?" I blurted. She turned around. "What do you mean?" She asked. I sighed. "Was it hard for you to fire Donna? She made a mistake I know. I'm wondering was it hard for you." I asked softly. Jessica smiled a little. "I didn't fire her on an emotional level. I let her go quietly. I understand how Harvey's taking it." She told me. I nodded in understanding. "I know you were doing your job. When will it come a day when you'll change your mind?" I said. She hummed in response. "If, maybe and hopefully, this doesn't break the firm. There will be a substitute to be his secretary." She spoke before leaving my office. A substitute? That is actually not ok nor fun. How can a substitute replace someone who's worked for him for twelve years? Well, we'd all have to manage change. Sometimes it's not mentally easy. Maya came in and cleared her throat. "Why did I saw Jessica leave your office? I hope it's got nothing to do with you and Harvey." She asked. I looked up from my book. "What about me and Harvey?" I quickly asked. She looked at me weirdly. "Your associate-partnership. You two found a disagreement?" She corrected. The memory of last night entered my mind. 'His eyes turned dark. I returned the gesture. His hand rubbed my side and back. My hand intertwined with his other as our noses were an inch apart.' 'He lifted my shirt to my chest and traced his fingers through my upper back before pecking where he touched. He then moved to my lower back and done the same.' "Lizzie? Liz?" Maya called. I snapped out of my thoughts and fake smiled. "No no no. Everything's fine. Nothing is bad." I partially lied. She smiled tightly. "Same here. Glad things are turning out fine here. Now if you excuse me, I'll go find Rachel." She spoke awkwardly. I smiled innocently. "Say hi to Seokjin for me." I joked. Maya returned the gesture. "Say hi to Harvey." She joked while leaving. My jaw dropped. She laughed. I took a deep breath to keep myself from chasing her.

******

Waiting patiently, the elevator doors opened as I carried my Starbucks bag and drink to my office. Lunchtime was afloat so I need my time before I'm ambushed with more work. I came and sat down where a 200-paged brief was gone including Mike chilling on the chair. "What's up Mike? Hurry up because I need my food." I asked, sitting behind my desk. He smirked. "Any coffee for me?" He teased. I returned the gesture. "That's not the proper way of asking is it?" I joked. Mike shrugged. "Harvey wants me to view security tapes of Keith before he signed the contract." He said, referring to his client. I rolled my eyes. "You mean how much liquor he drank?" I translated. He nodded. "You seem an expert on male drinking." He joked. I sighed and sipped my drink. "My oldest brother was an underage alcoholic. All people with liquor problems are responsible for their own actions." I told him. His eyes slightly widened. "Wow. Liz, I'm so sorry. I didn't know." He spoke sadly. I chuckled while scoffing. "It's fine. He is perfectly clean." I assured. Mike smiled. "So, will you help? We are a team." He asked. I leaned back and crossed my leg over. Even though Harvey thinks I shouldn't get involved? Whatever. He doesn't control me. "Guess we'll be here all day." I said, smiling. As I looked down to bite my sandwich, he mouthed 'Thank you!' with a fist. I managed not to giggle. Oh men.

Nighttime has fallen and Mike and I were in the conference room watching the tapes repeatedly. Though it's a different subject, it reminded me of JJ. Memories of seeing him wasted, stealing our parents's wine bottles, popping pills. I stretched and fought an incoming yawn. "We'll need eyedrops if we can't count this much liquor." I spoke annoyedly. Mike scoffed. "Oh ye little faith." He muttered as he writes the number down. I noticed Rachel walking in. "Hey Rach." I said. "Hey you." He spoke. She held a huge stack of papers. Wonder what she's been doing. "You're studying up to break the house?" She joked. I nodded my head no. "Apparently counting drinks." I told her. She raised an eyebrow. "Don't people count cards?" She asked. "It's a thing. Ah, there you see that?" He said, pausing the tape. "Drink number—I cut him off. "Fifteen." I finished innocently. Mike playfully rolled his eyes. "And here I was thinking you were just checking your feed." He said. I smirked. "You're not the only one gifted to count." I joked. Rachel hid an amused smile. "Your client? That's awful." She said. He continued counting. "No, no, no. It's good. We're even putting him in rehab to help nullify his contract." He told her. "Touching. Harvey truly cares about his clients." She said sarcastically. Mike looked up. "Uh, uh, uh. My idea." He bragged. I scoffed. "Even though I'm wasting happy hour to count liquor after filling out a 200 paged brief for Louis and some documents for Jessica? Yeah your idea." I sassed. She chuckled. He hummed in response. "Would you rather do it with Harvey?" He asked. Another last night memory hit me. "Nope." I blurted. Rachel smiled. "Well, you're really coming along." She said softly. He returned the gesture. I low-key smirked. "What are you doing here so late?" I asked. "Working with Louis. That's why Maya is still here." She told me. We looked at her in disbelief. "I'm sorry? With Louis?" He asked. She nodded. "Associate work. He, um...replaced Harold with me." She said. I smiled. "That's great Rach. You'll do awesome." I said kindly. Mike nodded in agreement. "Looks like you're really coming along." He said. Rachel smiled warmly. "Thank you guys." She said before walking out. Mike watched her go which made me smile. "You really like her!" I teased. He fake gasped. "I wonder if you really like Harvey." He teased. "Changing subjects." I quickly said, turning to the TV. My phone buzzed. Unread messages from Donna...and Harvey?!

Donna🧡💅🏼: wHY aren'tť u at Rachell's???

Donna🧡💅🏼: I'm...NOT drińk withOUt u🥺♥️♥️♥️

Donna🧡💅🏼: Me Donne needs Her 👯‍♀️

H🙄🕴️: Had a great time yesterday.🙂

I madly blushed and texted back.

BlueQueen👑🩵: people always love to hang with a princess😌😏

H🙄🕴️: Ah, ok. Well Prince Charming would like to ask if you're free this weekend?😎

BlueQueen👑🩵: a sweet friend request lol.

My phone buzzed with another message. "Damn." I mumbled quietly.

Twin Sis❤️👯‍♀️: just wanna let u know I'll be going out this weekend. Btw u oughta go check on Donna.😳😬

My brain clicked. I smiled and texted back.

BlueQueen👑🩵: ok! :)

BlueQueen👑🩵: Sure! This time at my house at 6? (Address name)

H🙄🕴️: 😉

Someone cleared their throat abruptly. I looked up to see Mike with a huge smirk. "Who was that? Your secret admirer?" He joked. I scoffed and smiled innocently. "Nope. Just Donna. I'll see you tomorrow to go over this. Ok?" I partially lied. He nodded while I got up to leave. Harvey and I are friends having a night at my place. Normal, right?