Coffees & Roses

Insane. It's not the first time a friend sent drunk texts but the difference is it happened when I lived in California. A good thing I done is always help out my friends whether they're drunk or anything else. Receiving drunk texts from Donna felt a little different because having a drink night with her and Rachel, they didn't have too many. I immediately drove to her place with the text Rachel sent of her address and apartment 206. I walked to the door before knocking twice. A few giggles, squeals and the knock of an object tells me she must've drank five to twenty. The door opened, revealing a drunk Donna in her PJs. Her eyes widened. "Liz!" She slurred happily while wrapping her arms around my neck. I fake smiled. "Dee, are you ok?" I asked. We parted as she let me inside. She scoffed, smiling. "Yes! I'm very good!" She squealed. Damn, how much did she drank? An empty wine bottle stood on her end table. My thoughts exactly. Donna playfully twirled around. "Why don't I play music? Since it's just you and me, let's party!" She suggested before going to her bathroom. I nodded my head no. "I don't feel like dancing Dee. I only came to see if you're ok. You shouldn't be drinking too much alone." I told her. Donna turned from the mirror and crossed her arms. "And you three should've never bailed on me." She whined. I raised an eyebrow. Say what? "We never bailed on you. In case you've forgotten, we work at a law firm." I said in an obvious tone. She fake laughed, rubbing my hair. "That same law firm I got fired from? Good job Elizabeth." She said sarcastically. I playfully rolled my eyes and sighed. "It's not like that. Everyone misses you. Why you think I came to see you?" I said. Donna walked past me and sipped the last drop of the bottle. "Then why none of you helped me? Why Harvey didn't help? All I done was protect him and this is the thanks I get?" She slurred. Are we seriously going through this again? Everyone's pointing fingers now? I huffed and walked up to her. "Ok, let's clear the air. You're right. He should've fought to save your job, he should've fought even after you screwed up. You destroyed the memo. He didn't. That was evidence. The whole situation would've ended if you told him the moment it was still in your hands. Now you're blaming him for not helping you yet you ruined the chance that he would've helped you keep your job?" I growled. The whole time she was awfully silent. "I didn't mean to ruin anything." She muttered softly. Tears instantly fill her eyes. I held her hand and put the bottle down. "Everyone is human Donna. I do miss having you around there. You make it a little lighter and kinda fun. I'm sorry we missed happy hour. Let me repay you." I spoke calmly. She sniffled, smirking. "Repay me? That's quite a promise." She said. I groaned. "Don't make it difficult." I begged. Donna smiled innocently. "I make no promises." She teased while waltzing herself to her bedroom. "You know? You're my first redhead friend. I've never had any redhead friends before." I said. She immediately looked at me in shock. "Do my ears deceit me? Never had a redhead friend? Somebody slap me!" She said, flunking herself on her bed with her hair splattered. I chuckled and came in. "But I'm grateful it's a woman. A man complicates shit." I said. "Touchéeee." She agreed before lifting her head and sitting upwards. Thoughts about Harvey returned to my mind. We made it clear we're friends yet there's been a little intimacy lately. "Donna, a little advice here?" I asked. "Mhm." She muttered while staring at the ceiling. I inhaled a deep breath before sitting beside her. "Hypothetical question really. A woman starts working for a man apparently becomes friends even though he thinks he can pursue her and she's not impressed. They end up hanging out but there was a little sudden intimacy. It practically seems confusing cause she didn't stop it. He didn't stop it...yet they're still friends and acting as if nothing happened. What does it mean?" I said. Donna patted my shoulder. "Chemistry. They share a real connection. She doesn't think anything yet the body say otherwise. The feeling of wanting to be near him...the feeling of his arms...the smell of his cologne...his eyes never leaving hers...no matter how much you wish to fight it...the moment felt perfect." She slurred tiredly. Everything she said took me back to that night. Exactly what she described. My eyes closed, rubbing my arms where he held me from behind. I felt secured, cared for and just simply perfect. Harvey somehow made me feel these things without cease. A small smile beginning to form on my lips. "Yeah. Exactly. Thanks." I muttered. My attention turned to Donna slowly dazing off. I wrapped her hair in a messy bun before covering her with blankets. She soon fell asleep and I turned off the lights and left. Sleep well, Red.