She's Gone

4PM.

An hour passed. I felt chilled from everything that's hit the fan. Mike nailed his court case which made me a little happy, Maya and Rachel discovered Louis's cat died. Despite my dislike of cats, it hurts to lose any pet and I hope he'll heal. I rubbed my throat for a second. Man, I could have a drink instead of letting thoughts take over. "Liz? Are you ok?" That voice apparently wasn't Maya's. I slowly turned to see Donna. "I need to close my door more often." I muttered irritatedly. She closed it and sniffled. "Please. We have to talk." She said. I crossed my arms while scoffing. "I got nothing to say to you." I quickly said. She tried not to shed anymore tears and sniffled. "Liz, I never intended to throw you under the rope. Nor Harvey. Seeing that memo completely shocked me. All I thought about was protecting Harvey and this firm—I cut her off. "The only person you were protecting is yourself! I told you, he told you, that memo was gonna get them off the hook. Did you listen? No! Now this whole firm's in deep shit because you were careless with the truth." I growled, standing up. "Because I am scared! I didn't know what to do! And I'm so sorry I didn't listen to both of you." She cried. I nodded. "Harvey thought I was keeping this from him for you and I didn't want to keep anything from anyone. You put me in a position where I choose between friendship or the firm. That's the last damn thing I'll ever do. Donna, I understood this was a hard position for you and as a friend, I was hopeful things would turn out fine once you told Harvey. But you destroyed the memo which puts the firm and him in jeopardy." I growled. The whole time she fought a quiet sob. No doubt it stung me a little. Maybe I was harsh but it's called venting. She wiped a small tear and inhaled a deep breath. I said nothing but held her hand while squeezing. "No matter what happens, you'll still be my friend. Whether you're here or not. Especially to Maya, Rachel, Mike and Louis." I spoke softly. Donna slowly nodded. "Thank you Liz." She said a bit hoarsely. "I suggest you get some fresh air. It's been a hell of a day." I suggested. Someone playfully knocked. Maya. "I was thinking we could have a girls night. In our house. I told Rachel and she's in. Is that ok?" She mentioned. I knew why she planned it but I rather not say. Donna looked at her weirdly. "Why?" She asked. I pointed to myself. She looked at me in awe and hugged me. I hugged back. This whole time I ignored the breakup as if it doesn't hurt. I bite my lip to prevent any incoming tears. We parted. She turned to Maya. "Hell yes I am." She spoke confidently. I chuckled and shrugged. "Ok but no chick flicks." I spoke in a serious tone. "The tomboyishness is uncanny." Maya joked. Donna chuckled which made me smile. "You're insane." She agreed.

Things hadn't worked after Harvey spoke to the old client. I can't imagine how down he probably feels from this entire day. Donna was busy catching fresh air and his office door's opened. As I slowly came in, jazz music played from the vinyl player. He sat on the couch with a glass of scotch. I smiled softly. "Is this your Dad?" I asked, referring to the music. "Yeah. It's what soothes me." He spoke calmly. I walked and sat next to him. "That's nice. Don't blame you. It's been a wild time." I said, crossing my leg over the other. Harvey snorted. "Let's not be too obvious." He muttered. My attention diverted to the center of the room. That same center where our fingers lightly touched. The aftershave lingering through my nose. Our faces being an inch close when I was at his apartment. I watched him take a sip of the scotch. My eyes followed the opening of his mouth. Gosh, my knees felt instantly weak. "Are we not going to discuss it?" I blurted. He looked at me confusedly. "Discuss what?" He asked. I scoffed. "You know what." I said. Harvey pretended to be confused. "Like what?" He asked. I playfully rolled my eyes. "Nobody's here so you can cut the act." I sassed. He put his glass down and raised an eyebrow. "Wanna talk about it? Fine." He said annoyedly. I shrugged. "You don't have to be irritated I only asked a question." I spoke calmly. He nodded his head no. "It's you who didn't wanna discuss what happened lately. Friends don't talk about those things, right?" He low-key growled. I inhaled a huff. "Calm down. That doesn't mean we can't. You helped me through letting out my frustrations about William and I thank you for that. You probably been through stuff like this." I said. Harvey looked at me weirdly. "A triangle?" He asked, smirking. I chuckled and nodded my head no. "Relationships. Or side-flings or whatever." I told him. He playfully rolled his eyes. "If you're asking for relationship advice, don't. I may not be helpful." He said. I scoffed, getting up to pour myself a drink. "Who says I need it? I only said you had many experience with relationships. You could understand what it's like having to meet every person you may thought was the one but not. The first time I found out he was with her, I stopped talking to him for a week. He still loved me but he also loved her. How freaking insane that was—I paused seeing him looking down thoughtfully. I took a sip before sitting down. "My, my, my. You did had experience." I joked sarcastically. Harvey shrugged while smirking. "Back at Harvard, there was this girl. Her name is Dana Scott but we call her Scottie. We had this on and off thing. Last year, we had a reunion—I cut him off. "A sex reunion." I corrected. He huffed, taking another sip. "Unfortunately I found out she cheated on her fiancé with me and the last thing I'll ever do is repeat that exact shit my mother did." He told me. The more he talked about his ex-relationship, the more I grew a dislike for Scottie. She seemed to use Harvey like he's a Ken doll. Sleep with him behind her fiancé's back for example. One word: homewrecker. I smiled innocently. "A homewrecker." I said casually. He whipped his head at me "Excuse me?" He low-key growled. "Scottie. She's a total homewrecker." I corrected. Harvey raised an eyebrow challengingly. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked. I fake chuckled and looked at him in disbelief. "Want a definition? An engaged woman cheats on her spouse with an un-engaged man. Or a husband sneaks a trick through the house while the wife's gone. She cheated on her fiancé using you like a toy. Doesn't that make you mad? She used you like a toy." I told him. "No she didn't!" He disagreed. I sighed. "Yes she did. She doesn't always tell you things, competes with you like a five year old and used you to ruin a marriage which you resent her for. Harvey, you talk about loyalty, that isn't loyalty. That's lying and cheating." I said in a serious tone. The whole time he said nothing but my words burned his eyes. "You're better than that. You know you are." I finished. Harvey stared at me for a moment. "How do you know?" He asked. His brown orbs left a clammy feeling in my palms. "Like, you deserve to feel loved." I muttered shyly. His hand slowly touched mine. "Don't you?" He whispered softly. No one's ever asked me that question. I fiddled with my hands, forgetting his is there. "Yeah. Sometimes I feel like I don't. Accepting flaws isn't easy." I answered honestly. As usual, negative thoughts clouded my mind for a few seconds. The only thing that didn't change was Harvey's hand in mine.

 The only thing that didn't change was Harvey's hand in mine

Fuzziness and warmth is all I felt. He smiled warmly. "You're perfect." He whispered. I madly blushed, inhaling a deep breath. "I'm not." I quickly said. He nodded in disagreement. "Elizabeth, you are. And I never wanna hear you say that again." He spoke softly but firmly. I couldn't help but smile. "Thanks." I muttered. My brain clicked. "Say, why don't we meet up to talk? Like Sunday?" I suggested. He hummed in response. "What's the occasion?" He teased. I chuckled. "Nothing. Just hanging out." I told him. Harvey winked. "I'm there Parker." He flirted. "And here we go." I said annoyedly. He smirked. "I'm just getting started." He joked.

******

6PM.

I've finished gathering my things to go and forgotten to grab my favorite book. I walked to my bookshelf as a figure walked by. Turning around, I couldn't move. Donna, holding a box of her things, looked at me tearfully while walking pass. The fear she had came true. Jessica fired her. I left the office and followed behind to see Mike and Rachel watching her leave. "Oh my...." I trailed off. She smiled sadly. Harvey and Donna silently glanced before she went to the elevator. "We're gonna need more popcorn, ice cream and wine tonight." I whispered in her ear. She nodded in agreement.