Chapter 1 - Awakening

A sea of stars flashes past my vision, transforming into a hazy symphony of colours, only to be abruptly replaced by a blinding light that forces my eyes shut. Finding solace in the comfortable darkness, a cascade of memories began to flow through my mind. Memories... that I didn't exactly remember.

A woman's cheerful voice.

'Peek-a-boo! Ah! There's that cute smile, ******!'

A young boy's cry.

'Pass the ball, ******!'

An old man's echoing speech.

'Please come to the stage to receive your diploma, ****** ****.'

I was confused, but at the same time, tranquil. As if I was too tired to think about what exactly was happening.

The myriad of memories and confusion died down as the moments passed before I was then awakened from my state of peace by pain.

Blinding, itching pain.

Every portion of my skin stung as if it were on fire, causing me to cry out in anguish.

But for some reason... it was muffled.

Distorted, as if my ears were clogged with water.

But slowly, the world around me became... clearer.

The pain throughout my body subsided, and my hearing was free to listen to the silent surroundings.

Well... I could faintly hear the crackling of a fireplace, so it wasn't complete silence, but it was still quiet.

With the rustic background noise calming my senses, I eventually felt the need to open my eyes once again.

Slowly, I lift my eyelids. There was no glaring brightness, but oddly... it took much more effort than I thought it would.

And what greeted me, was... blurriness.

But as time passes, my vision slowly becomes clearer, revealing the scene of a rustic wooden ceiling, with a singular beam running through the roof.

Weird... this was very weird.

It felt so far away.

Raising my hand, I try to reach toward the ceiling, but, my hands... they were so very small and... pudgy. Like a baby's.

Huh?

"...Gah?"

...What?

Was that my voice?

Huuuh!?

"Gbaa?"

W-What the!?

"Gubfaaa!"

I... I was a baby?

Why was I a baby?

No... why did that feel strange? Why did that feel wrong?

Who... who was I?

I can't... I can't remember, but it feels like I'm missing something.

A piece of me just wasn't there.

Shocked and confused by the development, a face then appears in my vision.

A woman.

A pretty woman.

She had light blonde hair that was tied into a braid that rested over her shoulder, and her eyes were a deep beautiful brown that matched perfectly with her cute yet mature face. If I were to guess, she looked to be in her mid-20s.