Chapter 2 - Fangs of the Black Wolf

—-- Leon —--

"Ah! I think he's waking up!"

Hearing a familiar voice, I open my eyes, revealing the image of a beautiful girl, with long blonde hair and kind blue eyes.

She... she was the one with glowing hands, right?

The one who tried to save my mother...

"Shh~ It's okay, sweetie. You're safe now," she says, gently running her hands through my hair.

Where was I? What happened? Who were you?

All these questions that needed answers ran through my mind.

These people... I remember that woman with animal ears, but looking around, there were more unfamiliar faces.

A young man, or rather, a teenager, with a rugged yet handsome face.

Another shorter, middle-aged man, with a large orange beard and a war axe strapped to his back.

A man with a face like a monkey, with a large nose and a large pair of ears.

And then a beautiful young woman with long golden hair, as well as... pointed ears?

What... what was going on?

"Ung! Ang!" I babbled.

"Jeez... I can't believe you actually kept him. Can't we drop him off at an orphanage in the next city or something? I don't wanna take care of a brat," the handsome man says with a troubled expression.

"Paul! Don't be like that! T-That woman... I promised to take care of him! Besides," the girl who was holding me then looked down into my eyes, her smile widening. "He's cute, don't you think?"

A finger making its way toward me, I reach my hand up to meet it, quickly grasping her digit with as much strength as my little hand could muster.

It wasn't something done with any meaning, but rather a more instinctual reaction.

Stupid baby body.

B-But... my mother...

So that actually happened. It wasn't a nightmare.

S-She... she was gone.

Feeling wetness drip down my cheek, the girl's smile twists into an apologetic frown as she gently wipes away my tears.

"Leon, right? I'm... I'm sorry I couldn't save her. But I'll take care of you from now on, okay? I can be your 'Mama'," the girl says.

She would be my mother?

But... she was so young... Why would she want this responsibility? Was it out of some twisted sense of duty?

But my mother... Alice... even if this girl, or this group, became my caregiver, I would never forget her... ever.

"Tch. Still shouldn't take him with us, Zenith. We're adventurers, you know? It's dangerous. What do you think, Lina?" the handsome man, Paul, then says to the pointed-ear lady.

"Well... I somewhat agree, but as long as he's with Zenith, who should be out of danger anyway, it doesn't really change much, does it? Besides... I am quite skilled at childcare," she says with a smile.

"Whatever. Just don't get on my ass if I find the little shit annoying."

Paul then walks up to me before looking down at me with a frown.

For some reason... I didn't like this guy. Plus, I felt a little hungry, so...

"Ung! Waaa!"

I cried out.