Chapter 32 - Basilisk

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

It had been a few months since setting off from Rikaruisu, and the Fangs of the Red Wolf were now a B-ranked party.

As for our progress in making our way to the Central Continent, we were about a third of our way down the Demon Continent, and as we had been constantly travelling for so long, we decided to take a little break at the city of Zentoria, a large trading hub that separated the 'south' from the 'north' of the Demon Continent.

With towering grey city walls and rocky streets, it painted quite a dreary picture, but with the bustling population, it was still a lively place despite the scenery.

But then again, most of the Demon Continent was like that. At least the urban centres, that is

Man, I really missed Asura: the green plains, the distant mountains, the food... especially the food.

Oh, and the people too.

I wasn't racist by any means, but it's been getting quite annoying to get stared at wherever we go simply for being the only humans around.

"Leon. Where are we staying today?" Ruijerd asks from the side.

"Hmm... we can probably treat ourselves to a B-rank inn if we haggle a good deal," I respond. "I don't want to go exterminating bugs before bed, after all."

"I see," he nods. "And what are the other three doing?"

"Girl stuff," I say. "Don't ask more than that."

"Got it."

When Eris demanded to go get some stuff on her own, I was initially hesitant, as she had a history of getting into trouble, especially as she had picked up more of the Demon God tongue. But when I pressed for an answer, she remained evasive.

Thinking back, I really should have left it at that, but I just had to ask if it was 'that' time of the month, and got a touki-enhanced punch as a result.

Needless to say, I took it gracefully, as I knew I deserved it.

As for Norn and Aisha joining her? Well, I could only guess that they wanted to have some girl time together, and I trusted Eris enough to watch over them.

And if they ended up in trouble... well, Aisha knew to fire off a signal with magic if she needed to, plus we had Ruijerd's jewel.

As Ruijerd and I continued wandering the street, I soon felt a tug at my belt, and a moment later, noticed that my coin purse had been snatched.

"Haa... Ruijerd, let's follow them," I say, turning into an alley.

"Of course... but why didn't you stop them?" Ruijerd asks.

I shake my head, "Don't you know? Thieves aren't treated well in these parts."

Plus, from how small the person was, I had a feeling they were likely a kid, so I had a feeling Ruijerd would agree with my decision.

But still... that was all my spending money, so I couldn't exactly let this go.

I guess I'd buy them a meal if they needed it.

Jogging into an alley and weaving through a few paths, we eventually heard a commotion just up ahead.

"Damn brat! The fuck do you think you're doing!?"

Haa... great.

Personally, I was fine with forgiving the kid, but that didn't go for everyone else.

Turning the corner, I see a large dog-like demon standing over the crumpled form of a crying child, their scaly red skin reminding me of that dumb kid back in Rikariusu.