Chapter 31 - Travelling

—-- Aisha Greyrat —--

Clutching Brother's red scarf, I feel a warmth envelop my body. A different kind of warmth than the one coming from the bright sun above.

When I pulled it up to my face, I could smell the scent of sweat and grime from constant use, which might sound gross at first, but it also smelled like Brother, so it wasn't bad at all.

It made me feel safe. Happy.

After all, I knew that Brother would do anything to protect me.

But while knowing that would do anything made me feel giddy, it also made me feel... guilty.

Here, on the Demon Continent, things were tough. Much tougher than back home. And with Norn and I slowing him down... I can't imagine how hard it's been for Brother.

No, I didn't have to imagine.

I remember the first week, after all, where Brother looked like he hadn't slept at all.

I knew I was a burden. But that didn't mean I would have to stay one.

Even if only a little, I wanted to be helpful.

So...

"Brother?" I ask, tilting my head just like Mother taught me in order to ask for things I wanted. "Can I ask you something?"

Pausing his maintenance on his sword, he looks back to me, "Of course. Is there something wrong?"

"Not exactly..." I tilt my head down. "Just... do you think you can teach me something?"

He frowns in confusion, "'Something'... What exactly do you want to learn?"

"Magic, writing... anything that would be useful!" I answer.

His frown deepens, "Where's this coming from?"

"Just... we-"

"We don't want to slow Brother down!" Norn interrupts me.

Huh? Was she... thinking the same thing as me?

Honestly, I didn't think my sister was one to think so much.

Well, two voices are better than one.

"Yeah!" I continue, "We wanna be helpful!"

And not a burden.

I don't expect to be able to make us go faster compared to if we weren't here, but at the very least, I didn't want to make things harder.

Sheathing his sword, Brother readjusts himself on the lizard so that he's facing both of us, his face stern as his eyes moved between both of us.

Eventually, he releases a sigh before placing a hand on each of our shoulders.

"Listen, you two," he says. "While it might not seem like it, you are already being a great help just being here with me."

I shake my head, "No we're not! I remember..."

The first week.

Before we met Ruijerd. How tired Brother got. How hurt he got, watching out for us.

That... I hated that.

"Anyway! Don't lie! I know we're a burden!" I say.

He smiles before shaking his head, "I'm not lying. You two are the greatest moral support I could have. Just one hug from my cute sisters keeps me energized for the whole day."

He then rubs my head, which I lean into with a hum.

Wait! No! That wasn't important!

"And besides," he continues. "If you weren't here with me and Eri... I would probably be dead."