Chapter 5 - Brother

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

A few months had passed since our arrival in Buena village, and in that time, we had entered the year K407 of the Armored Dragon Calendar, which meant that I was now two years old.

Since I had no record of what day I was born, going off by the start of the year was an easy resolution.

Anyway, other than getting settled into our new rural lifestyle, not much had changed.

Well, apart from one thing, that is.

"Young Master Leon, are you sure you don't need anything to eat?"

Our family had grown by one, in the form of our new maid, Lilia.

She was a beautiful woman with violet-purple eyes and reddish-brown hair that she tied up in a half bun, with hair strands resting on either side of her shoulders, much like Mama's hairstyle. She also had a slender and voluptuous body and wore oval-shaped glasses and a maid outfit.

I was a bit worried that she was a little too beautiful, as with her large breasts and pretty face, she was exactly the type of girl that would cause Paul to make a mistake, but I suppose I had to trust in the man until he proved himself untrustworthy.

I just hoped he could keep it in his pants until I was old enough to take care of Mama.

Anyway, Lilia, while beautiful, was quite cold, at least on the outside. But once you got to know her, she opened up a bit. Especially with me.

Though that might just be due to my childish charms.

"I'm fine, Lilia! And didn't I tell you to just call me Leon? We're living in the same house after all," I say while kicking my feet in the air.

I was currently lying down on the bed and going through one of the books Mama and Paul got. Specifically, Wandering the World, a reference guide to the various countries and places in the world.

This was a good way to increase my reading comprehension while also expanding my worldview.

After all, while I had adventured with the Fangs of the Black Wolf for a year, we only travelled around the Southern region of the Kingdom of Asura, where I just so happened to be born. And even then, I was asleep most of the time, so I didn't learn much about what was happening.

"I am but a maid, Young Master Leon. It would be presumptuous to forgo my manners," she says, shaking her head.

"Yeah, but we aren't like those petty nobles, you know? Plus, you're not just a maid. At least not to me. We're probably going to be together for a while, so we're more like family, right?" I respond with a smile.

If anyone knew that blood didn't need to be shared to be considered family, it was me.

"...I suppose so. You're a good child, Leon," she says while affectionately rubbing my head.

Closing my eyes at the pleasant feeling, I then feel the pressure of her hand increase.

"Make sure you don't turn out like your father."

"I-I got it, Lilia! I'll never turn out like that guy!" I whine.

"Good," she says.

"Fufu! You two sure get along, don't you?" Mama laughs.

Lifting my head, I looked over to Mama who was sitting next to the fireplace.

With the harvest season starting up with the arrival of spring, she was now almost nine months into her pregnancy, and her belly had grown to show as much.