Chapter 15 - Progress

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

"That's good form, Eris. Keep going like that."

"G-Got it, haa, Ghislaine!"

Nodding at Eris' words, Ghislaine then turns to me.

"Now, I believe it's time we begin our first lesson," she then draws her sword. "You know what Touki is, right?"

"Uhh... no? What is that?" I ask.

Ghislaine's eyes widen in surprise, "What? But you became an Advanced... never mind."

She shakes her head, "Despite having the fighting prowess of a Saint, Paul was an idiot when it came to swordsmanship. So I should have expected this."

"Paul was that strong?" I ask.

She nods, "Yes. Due to his natural talent, his unique three-styled swordsmanship, and his experience, he was strong enough to fight a Sword Saint. Unfortunately, due to his terrible work ethic and his being an instinctual fighter, he couldn't advance any further. Being the instinctual type is also what makes him a bad teacher."

"Yeah, no kidding," I say with a laugh.

"Indeed. I used to be the same, but once I started using my head, I could advance to the King rank," she says with a smile.

Huh... I didn't know whether to raise my opinion of my father for being so naturally skilled or lower it, considering he could've probably become so much more.

Ah, well... not like it mattered now.

He was living the domestic life, after all.

"So this... Touki, you called it? What exactly is it?" I ask.

Ghislaine narrows her eyes in thought, "Touki... also called Battle Aura, or Fighting Spirit by some, it is what swordsmen and warriors use to boost their physical abilities to perform techniques. As an Advanced-level swordsman, you must have done something like this already."

Hmm... wait, was it the 'feeling' that Paul was talking about? And what I thought of as mana being used to enhance my body?

Yeah, it must be, right?

Haa, couldn't you have at least known the name, Paul?

"Yeah, I think I do. Something like this, right?"

Remembering the feeling of when I cut the boulder, I then bring my blade to my side before launching forward with a leap.

Twisting my hips, the sword cuts silently through the air, before a sonic boom follows shortly after as I finish the swing.

Turning back to Ghislaine, I see her nodding her head, "Exactly. That is the Advanced-rank Sword God technique, the Longsword of Silence. I also noticed you using Touki in our previous spar, though it seemed unconscious."

"Anyway," she continues, "your next goal is to become a Sword Saint, and I'm sure you have the talent to do so. The key to reaching this rank is mastering the basics acquired with the Advanced rank. Most notably, perfecting the Longsword of Silence so that it becomes the Longsword of Light. What that entails, is constant practice and correcting any faults. So... are you prepared?"

That sounded quite ominous... but it's not like I could refuse.

"Of course!"

—-- Information on the Six-Faced World —--

Ghislaine Dedoldia

Ghislaine has dark skin and a very muscular and scarred body that she shows off with her revealing outfit that consists of the leather jacket given to practitioners of the Sword God style that achieves the Saint rank. She wears an eyepatch that covers her Demon Eye which allows her to see the flow of mana. She has grey hair that reaches down to her chest that matches her grey tail and beastfolk ears. She also has a large chest.