Chapter 23 - The Way of Water

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

It was a normal day in Roa. I spent the morning doing my training while Rudy taught Eris her lessons, as we always did, and after lunch, I went along with Sauros and Eris to guard the two as they swam in the river.

However, in the end, I ended up swimming along with her, but Sauros didn't seem to mind. If anything, he looked happy to see his granddaughter giggling and trading splashes with me.

After we got back, I expected the day to continue normally, with me spending the evening training my magic or perusing the library.

That was until Ghislaine suddenly stood with her tail bristled.

"Big Sis? What's wrong-"

That's when I felt it.

An overwhelming pressure.

The pressure of the strong.

"With me!"

Following Ghislaine out the door, we sprinted toward the source of the power, which just so happened to be at the training ground.

And when we got there...

"Huh? Are you the brat I've heard so much about?"

An old woman. With short white hair and clear blue eyes.

Although she looked good for her age, she was definitely past her 60s. Yet she was also the source of that discomforting level of power.

She... was strong. Incredibly so.

"Leon. Stay back," Ghislaine says, pulling out her sword. "You! What is the meaning of this? If this is an attack on the Boreas Greyrat household, then I, the Black Wolf Sword King, will respond in kind!"

As she stood firmly, she whispered to me in the Beast God tongue, "Leon. Prepare to escape with Eris and Master Sauros. No objections."

Nodding my head, I took out my sword and began to gather wind around my feet, but before any battle could break out, the woman spoke.

"Ghislaine? Where have I heard that before... Ah, right! Gal told me about you!"

Ghislaine flinches in surprise.

"But an attack? I'm not here for anything like that, so don't worry. After all... if I was, everyone here would already be dead," the woman then peered over to the bushes, which Eris and Rudy quickly rose from.

Haa... those two.

"...I hope that those words are true. But who are you? And how do you know my master?" Ghislaine says.

"Hm? Ah, right. Introductions. I've been with my granddaughter for so long, I forgot about that stuff," the old woman then tilts her head down. "I am Reida Reia. Although you probably know me better as the current Water God."

...Well, that explained her strength, but what the heck was someone like her doing here?

Sheathing her sword, Ghislaine then bows to her, "I apologize for my insolence."

"No need. You just did your job as a guard. In fact," she turns to me, her eyes glinting with intrigue, "you both did."

Ghislaine rises to her feet, "Thank you. But... why exactly are you here? As far as I know, Master Sauros has no connection to you or your school."

"Ah, I'm not here for him, but rather, for you," she says, nodding her head my way.

"Me?" I say in confusion.

Uhh... what the hell?

"I'm honoured, but... why? How?" I say.

"You see, Augustus, a dear friend of mine, told me he had an interesting grandson with a talent for the sword," she says, pulling out her blade. "So hit me with your best strike, and prove your worth."