Chapter 21 - Tenth Birthday

—-- Rudeus Greyrat —--

It was evening when I arrived in Roa, and just like Leon had said, it was a cool city to see in person, with large walls and a fortified castle in the centre.

As we got into the city, Ghislaine told me about all the places I pointed out, such as the Adventurer's Guild, the main weapon smith, and the brothel.

She was a stern, but kind woman. Just like Leon said.

As I entered the manor, a butler led us to what looked to be a reception room, where I was then pointed to two sofas that were facing each other.

Okay... this would be my first interview, I guess. I didn't want to know what would happen if I failed it, but I knew I wouldn't want to see Paul's teasing face upon my return after getting rejected.

So let's do this!

As I waited, it didn't take long for someone to open the door, revealing a thin, lightweight man with sleek brown hair.

Standing up, I hastily bow while lowering my head.

Introductions were key, after all.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Rudeus Greyrat," I say respectfully.

"Ah, yes. And I am Philip Boreas Greyrat. It seems like you are just as polite as Leon said, but for your information, nobles greet each other by putting their right hand on their chest and bowing slightly," he says.

"Like this?" I say, repeating his movement.

"Yes. Quite right. Even my father would be pleased to see a worker greet him like that. Now please, take a seat," Philip said, flouncing on the sofa with a thud.

"Now... how much have you heard?" he asks, steepling his fingers.

"I was told I would be spending the next five years teaching the Young Mistress, taking over my brother's position. Speaking of... why exactly did he leave?" I say.

"He simply thought it would be best for you to see the wider world, and for him to spend time with his family. Or at least, that's what he told me," Philip answers with a shrug.

Hmm... was he trying to steal the 'cool older brother' title from me?

Well, considering he was already a Sword Saint, I didn't think he had to use such shrewd methods.

"But yes. In return, you will be compensated with free tuition to Ranoa as well as a noble family's support upon completion of Eris' education. I believe you've already met her, yes?" he says.

"Umm... yes, I have," I say, thinking back to when that redheaded mad dog smacked me around with a sword.

"And? Do I have to worry about becoming a grandfather?" he asks.

What?

Well... Paul did mention he lost his virginity at ten, so the standards were quite different from my old world.

But Eris?

"No. I am not like my father," I say.

Even if she wasn't head over heels for my natural flirt of a brother, I didn't want anywhere near that ball of violent anger.

A nice girl that I could form into my perfect future wife would be best for me, thank you very much.

Someone like Sylphy, but with a bit more stats in the breast department.

"Oh really? Then you pass. I'll be honest, while I don't expect much from you, but since Leon recommended you, I decided to give you a try," he says with a shrug.