Chapter 12 - Growing

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

When I got back, I was greeted by a set of three wide smiles. Even Lilia was getting in on Paul and Mama's antics.

Ignoring the thumbs-up Paul was sending me, I made my way over to the saddened Rudy.

"Hey... you okay?" I ask.

He raises his head, "Huh? Uh... yeah," he sniffles. "I'm fine. It was to be expected, right? I should just be glad she stuck with me for so long..."

Over the years, as Rudy has slowly grown into his own person, I've noticed two things about my little brother.

One, he had horrible confidence issues.

I don't think it was my fault, as he never seemed to have self-doubt in his intelligence and magical prowess, but rather about... the more human aspects of life.

This was especially noticeable once Roxy came into our lives.

But hopefully, this trait would start to wane as he met more people and discovered what a good kid he was, so there were no issues there... hopefully.

Second, I also noticed that he has trouble with change.

Not wanting to leave the house... not wanting Roxy to leave... he wanted to stay in the protective bubble of his current life.

It wasn't a bad thing, per se. Some may even call it endearing.

But for anyone, especially a growing child, change should be welcomed rather than feared. That was all part of growth, after all.

As his big brother, I would have to guide him through such difficulties, and with my help, these two issues would hopefully melt away with time.

I watch as Rudy's face suddenly morphs into a frown.

"What's wrong, Rudy?" I ask.

"N-Nothing! It's just... I forgot to give Roxy back her panties..."

...Seriously?

Sensing my disapproval, he continues, "Don't worry! Even if they're used, I'll be sure to treat them with utmost respect! Promise!"

No... I wasn't worried about that...

Haa, he had more of his father's genes than I thought, huh?

He better keep that perversion away from Sylphy though.

I don't want to regret letting them meet.

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

It was the day after Roxy's departure, and it seemed whatever fears Rudy had about going outside had been completely quelled.

"Bye, Mother! We'll be back by sundown!" he exclaims.

"Alright! Be safe! And listen to your brother!" Mama replies firmly.

With those departing words, I then led Rudy through the village, pointing out what was what and who lived where. As there were only roughly 30 households, it was pretty easy to keep track of everyone and everything.

"So... where are we going, brother?" Rudy asks as we make our way toward the forest.

"Sylphy's house," I answer. "It should be a nice surprise for her since we usually meet up at the hill. Although I bet she'll be mad at me, considering I've skipped out the last couple of days."

Rudy tilts his head in confusion, "But didn't you tell her what happened after Master taught us her Saint spell?"

"Yes, but it still sucks to be left alone. You know about her hair, right? Makes things hard," I say back.