Chapter 18 - Return to Roa

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

My baby sisters were now a week old, and much to my relief, they were normal, unlike Rudy when he was a baby.

Now it wasn't like I hated Rudy. Despite his... eccentricities, I loved him deeply as a brother. But with his advanced maturity, I didn't have many chances to act as an amazing older brother, or dote on him, which might also be due to me being two when he was born.

Anyway, Norn and Aisha were normal, and as a result, they cried. A lot.

When they wet themselves, they cried. When they were hungry, they cried. Even when nothing was happening, they cried.

But I understood them, to an extent.

Thinking back to my time as a baby, even though I didn't cry much, I remember how everything was new and a bit scary, even with my Miko-granted knowledge.

It might be this understanding that made me able to calm them down quite easily though my magic also helped.

You see, with healing magic, while it focused on healing injuries, it also had applications of calming down the patient. After all, even if you healed a large wound, it wouldn't really matter if the patient died from shock a moment later.

And so I used this application to the fullest, helping my baby sisters remain calm with all the new sensations in this big, scary world.

It was also due to this understanding that I didn't find their cries annoying.

Instead, I just found them endearing. I wanted to cuddle them and make them feel better and calm with love, rather than doing it just to shut them up.

Though I couldn't say the same for Paul...

This was his second time having children. Third if you count me when I joined the Fangs of the Black Wolf. And while I understood that Rudy and I weren't exactly normal, I still expected him to be a bit better after all this time.

But Paul was Paul, I suppose.

Luckily, Lilia was able to show off her maidly abilities, Mama always had that loving touch that babies would crave, and Rudy was surprisingly skilled at taking care of our sisters, so the four of us were able to easily fill in.

But yes. My sisters were healthy, and things were good.

Speaking of Paul, he had trained extra hard into the night for the two days after their birth, at least until the third day, where he defeated me in our spar.

He went back to his usual routine of only light morning training after that.

It was exactly as Mama said. Once his pride and confidence were renewed, he went back to being the bare minimum to keep up his current skills rather than aiming to advance them.

How disappointing.

But I guess he was retired, so I shouldn't have expected much else.

Anyway, while my swordsmanship had improved ever since my victory against Paul, or more specifically, after my 'enlightenment', I was still not better at the blade than my father.

I suppose my sudden improvement catching him off guard was the only reason for my win.

But I didn't mind.

I was still young and still had lots of time to improve, as well as experience to gain. I wonder what Ghislaine will think of my new abilities though... I hope she'll be proud of me.

And I wasn't the only one to improve my swordsmanship.

Eris and Rudy proved to be good sparring partners, as both were close in abilities and had both grown a noticeable amount in my time here.