Chapter 6 - Swordsmanship

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

Winter had passed. Buds formed on the trees, and flowers bloomed across the fields as spring began in earnest.

As for me?

"You did well keeping up with your body exercises, Leon. Now it's time you finally put it to use!"

I was starting my swordsmanship class with my father, Paul.

Well... 'class' would probably be a bit too much praise, but I'll hold off any judgment until after.

"You know... originally, I thought we would only be doing exercises for another year or so. But you sure proved me wrong, eh?" Paul says with a troubled smile.

Well of course. No normal three-year-old would be able to hold a sword at this point, even with the exercises.

But you see... I had healing magic.

At first, I was hesitant about using magic to enhance my physical training. After all, if healing magic simply sped up cell recovery, then not only would I be messing up my natural development, but I would also be at risk of growing older too fast.

But healing magic, as it turned out, was pretty... magical.

It simply did whatever it needed to heal the target, even if it meant bypassing natural biological processes.

For example, someone being healed doesn't feel tired after it, when in theory, the healing magic should only be speeding up the natural process, which expends a large amount of energy.

This would also explain why there was no record of people who used healing magic constantly dying earlier due to cancer or anything similar.

So basically, I was safe to use it on myself, allowing me to expedite the process of growing my muscles to the point where I could now hold a wooden sword with no problem.

The toughest part of healing though was having to heal every spot through my hands. I wonder if I could apply healing magic over my entire body... I would have to experiment with that later.

"Ahem! Anyway. I'll teach you all that I know in the three sword styles, though I wouldn't exactly call the North God a 'style'," Paul grumbles before tossing me a wooden sword.

It was a bit big, but I would grow into it as I got older.

"Hmm... where to start... so for the Sword God, it's all about getting there faster. Like 'swoosh' and 'kapow'!"

...Was he serious?

"And Water God, it's all about countering. So when the opponent goes 'fwoosh' you 'thwoom' and 'shink'," he continues, swinging his sword with practiced ease.

Oh my god, he was serious!

This guy was supposed to be my teacher?

I had a feeling it would be a while before I got the hang of swordsmanship.

I knew he was an idiot, but I thought that when it came to swordsmanship it would be a little different.

I mean, he was still a genius at it, but an idiotic genius who knew how to swing a sword out of instinct rather than intelligence.

"Ahh, it's hard to explain it!"

No... I think that's just you.

"Here! Just watch."

He then struts over to the boulder in the yard before raising his sword overhead.

Taking a step forward, he then brings down his blade, causing a faint whistle to echo across the yard as a flash of silver streaks down the boulder.