Chapter 3 - Learning

—-- Leon —--

Following Mama through the dense grove, she then finds a fallen log to sit on, and as she takes out her book, I take a seat of my own, making sure I'm comfortable enough for the coming lecture.

"And this is... and here... okay! Ready to learn, Leon?" she asks after looking through her book.

While she was inexperienced, at least she was earnest.

"Yep! I'm excited!" I say with a smile.

And that was no lie.

"Good! But remember, Leon. It's okay if you can't do it immediately, okay? You have many years to learn," she says, patting my head.

"I can do it!"

Her eyes soften with a mix of affection and pride.

"Fufu, if you're so sure, then I'll begin now. Ahem!"

Taking one last look through the book, she then closes it before looking at me.

"Right, so... first, magic requires power to work, like how a campfire needs wood to burn. This is called mana, or magic power. And the amount of magic power someone has is decided at birth, so... let's hope you have a good amount! Uhh... then there are three types... Yes! Three types of magic! And they are... umm..." Mama then opens her book once again to look at the information.

...This would be okay, right?

—-- Leon POV —--

"And that's the basics of magic!" Mama says proudly.

It was a shaky start, but she got there eventually.

At first, she needed to constantly check the book, but that wasn't due to a lack of knowledge, but rather a worry that she was teaching me the wrong thing.

A sort of performance anxiety.

But after she got into the role, she got more confident and showed off her intelligence which made her one of the few S rank healer adventurers in the world.

Basically, as she explained, magic required magic power, or mana, to work. And one can use magic in two ways.

Incantations, which is when one recites a set of words to cast a spell and magic circles when one inscribes a pattern using special ink to cast a spell by pouring magic power into said pattern.

Mama didn't really know how to use magic circles, and her book didn't describe any either, so I would be sticking to incantations for my learning.

Not that I minded though. I didn't exactly trust my toddler hands to do precise drawings.

As for the types of magic, there are three main ones: attack magic, which, as the name implied, was meant to be used in battle; healing magic, which was used to heal others and cast barriers and was also the type of magic Mama specialized in; and summoning magic, which was used to summon things, again, as the name implied.

Delving further into it, attack magic was divided into four types: fire, water, wind, and earth, which allowed the user to cast spells relating to that element.

Thinking about it now... I think I might just call attack magic elemental magic instead. It makes more sense that way.

Healing magic also was divided into four types. Them being healing magic, which healed injuries; detoxification magic, which purged poisons and disease; divine strike magic, which was magic that could harm incorporeal monsters; and protection magic, which was used to create barriers.