Chapter 22 - Eris' Birthday

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

Two months had passed since my birthday, and in that time, Rudy had turned eight years old. And as Eris and my brother's birthdays were a month apart, the Young Miss' tenth birthday was fast approaching.

With my amazing present from my family, I was now technically an Advanced-rank healing and detoxification magician, though I still had more than a few spells to master.

I let Rudy use my textbook too, of course, but since the spells became increasingly difficult and had a much longer chant as you went up to the Advanced rank, he had yet to catch up to me.

He had the skill, and he had more than enough mana for it, but since he couldn't silently cast these spells, the long chants were simply too long to remember and took too long to cast in an emergency. So considering he could easily just use X-Healing chantlessly with extra mana to mostly the same effect, he decided to leave the Advanced rank healing to me.

The keyword being 'mostly'.

You see, Advanced-rank spells weren't just the better versions of Intermediate-rank spells, contrary to what I had previously thought.

At this level, the spells begin to defy the laws of natural healing instead of simply boosting or aiding in recovery.

For instance, if I was healing a dismembered finger, previously, I would have to bring the severed digit to the cut before casting magic, or the healing would just create a stump. But with Advanced-rank healing, it was able to completely regrow the digit.

Now this didn't work for limbs or anything, but it was still a step above the Intermediate-rank with its effects.

Anyway, while Rudy may not have become an Advanced rank healer, he did become an Intermediate rank swordsman thanks to having a good sparring partner in Eris, and Ghislaine fixing his mistakes.

Paul always called Ghislaine stupid, but I think the word 'simpleton' suited her better. And for the Sword God style, that word was not an insult, but rather something closer to a compliment.

Ah, and Eris had also improved her swordsmanship. While not increasing in rank, she had slowly refined her abilities, and according to Ghislaine, it wouldn't be long before she reached the Advanced rank.

It seems that she was quite the genius at the sword.

As for Eris and Ghislaine's academics, I would say that they were now fluent in reading and writing, and as long as they knew the word in speaking, they could now roughly figure it out on paper through reading the letters.

Their arithmetic was... not as good, but still passable. You could only do so much with practical lessons and fun games, after all.

And magic? Well, they had both basically stopped with those lessons after I gave them their wands, but that was okay.

The two were swordsmen, and they would never be magicians, so just learning how to cast a water and fire spell, as basic as it was, was enough for survival. And Eris had also finally been able to cast Healing too, so that was nice.

Unfortunately, she seemed to have slowly lost interest in her childish love for 'shiny hands', so I don't think she'd grow any more in healing magic.

It was a shame. I found that childish part of her extremely cute.

Anyway, as a noble lady's tenth birthday was an important time when they would be introduced to the noble world, the preparations for a large party for Eris were in place, with maids running about and numerous invitations being sent out.