Chapter 20 - A Letter

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

It was now spring, and with that, Eris and Rudy had grown a year older.

Even though nine wasn't a celebrated birthday, Eris seemed awfully happy about her new age, likely due to having finally caught up in age with me.

She was competitive like that. Though I just found it endearing.

As for my magic abilities, while they hadn't grown too much, I was now able to cast Intermediate-rank barrier magic without an incantation, though it took a bit of focus and time, mostly due to needing to memorize the magic circle before performing it. Hopefully, the time and focus needed would be reduced with practice, much like all the other magic I've trained.

During this time, my swordsmanship had also advanced. Not only had I gotten a grasp of the Longsword of Light, but I also was able to use magic with my movements seamlessly. Or at least, that was the case with the techniques I had practiced so far.

As I had discovered, the key to controlling the pure power that was the Longsword of Light turned out to be enhancing your mind, or rather, your senses, in order to perceive the world and react while going at such insane speeds.

It still needed work, of course, but Ghislaine said I was progressing nicely with the ultimate technique of the Sword God.

Hmm... as an ultimate technique, it was already perfect, but I felt like if I could do what Paul does, where he moulds his Sword God attacks with the smoothness of the Water God, it could be even better.

But to do that, I would need to know a Water God technique at the Saint rank in order to keep up... so that was still a while away.

After all, unlike with Ghislaine, I had no connections with a Water King, nor a Water Saint, for that matter.

Suddenly hearing a knock at my door, I dissipate the fireball I was playing with, "What is it?"

Opening the door, Ghislaine then tosses me an envelope, "You have a letter."

A letter? But my family had already sent theirs for this month...

Did something go wrong?

Looking at the letter, I noticed that the handwriting wasn't one I recognized.

Or rather, I recognized it, but it had been two years since I'd seen it.

'To Leon and Rudeus Greyrat of Buena Village'

Roxy... It's been quite a while.

"It's addressed to my home in Buena, right? Why wasn't it sent there?" I ask.

Ghislaine shrugs, "Who knows? But it was addressed to you, right? Whoever received it probably knew you were staying here rather than at home."

Right. Letters were often taken by merchants on their travels for a small fee, and the one that often travelled between Roa and Buena Village knew that I was here from the constant communication between my family and me. So they must have decided to just give it to me before Rudy.

Opening the letter, it then revealed two folded pages. Likely one for each of us. Taking out the first one, I then read through its contents, all written in the Demon God tongue.

Okay... it's been a little bit since I had practiced, but at least she seemed to have chosen words in my vocabulary. Was this some sort of lesson? That does sound like something she would do.

Dear Leon. How have you been?

It's hard to believe that two years have passed since we parted, but since I've somewhat settled down, I decided to finally write to you.