Chapter 4 - New Home

—-- Leon —--

"Well... this is where we part. If you guys ever need anything, just come find me. I'll do my best to help you out," Paul says, a hint of guilt in his voice.

No, not a hint. There was quite a bit of guilt there.

Lina, who had been giving Paul the cold shoulder for the past week, released a sigh.

"Right. Just... take care of Leon and Zenny. Leon especially deserves to finally have a good place to call home. And take care of the new kid too, got it? If Zenny comes running back to me crying because you cheated or were a bad father, I'll race back here to make you regret it," she says with a glare.

"H-Haha! Yeah, I get it, I get it," Paul returns.

Looking at the slightly gloomy group, I couldn't help but feel my mouth twist into a frown.

The Fangs of the Black Wolf was a party of misfits, and as much as a rash, womanizing man Paul was, he was the binding glue that brought them together, both in combat and in regular interactions. So with him retiring into fatherhood, the obvious result was the dissolution of the party.

While most parties wouldn't be the worst if they were disbanded, these guys were a bit different. As a band of outcasts, this party was the only place they had felt welcomed. The only place that felt like home.

This was also why Lina was pissed at the guy, as his constant sex drive was what led us to this point, and also why Paul was rightfully feeling guilty.

But it seemed that she could accept the situation since Zenith was happy and that I would be living a somewhat normal life, safe from the dangers and erratic lifestyle of adventurers.

I then made my way over to Ghislaine, who was also in a downcast mood, gesturing with my arms for her to pick me up.

Smiling at me, she grants my request, and I immediately wrap my arms around her neck.

"Are you sure you can't stay with us, Big Sis?" I ask, trying not to release the dam of tears I was holding back.

While I definitely felt comfortable being with Mama and could endure being with Paul, I was saddened that I would be leaving this little family of mine.

"Sorry, Leon. I'm going to the Sword Sanctum after this to hone my strength. Hopefully, by the next time we see each other, I will be a Sword King," she says, gently patting my head.

Right. These people also had their own lives.

I couldn't hold them back because of my selfishness, no matter how much I wanted to.

"But... we'll see each other again, right?" I ask.

"Of course," she nods. "So get bigger and get stronger, and make sure to take care of your sibling and those two. You know that Paul isn't very smart."

"Hey!" Paul shouts in indignation.

Giggling at her insult, I sniffled back the snot that was pooling in my nose.

"I will... but, I'll miss you, Big Sis."

"I as well... here, take this."

She then takes the wooden ring she kept on her finger. It was covered in scratches, showing its age and use, and reflected a slight greenish tint under the sunlight.

"This is a talisman that is passed down in my clan. They say it protects the wearer from bad wolves at night, but to me, it's simply a keepsake."

Taking the ring, I take a glance at it before returning my gaze to her eye.