Chapter 10 - Village Life

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

"So... monsters are different from demons?" Sylphy asks, looking intently at a page in my notebook.

"Huh? Yeah, they're completely different! Monsters are just animals that get mutated, usually by magic, and sometimes they become a species that continues for a long time. demons, though, are just what the races that fought against the humans in the last war. Though Roxy said that now, demons are just whatever races live on the demon continent. But anyway, yes, they're completely different from monsters," I answer with a stern nod.

Roxy as a monster?

Ha. As if.

Sylphy, who is lying down on her stomach next to me, starts kicking her legs up and down while her ears begin to twitch, "I see..."

She was evidently happy at the new information.

It makes sense. After all, she had been called a demon for quite a while, and even I hadn't refuted the fact, so she must have been scared that she was just some evolved form of a monster.

"Ah, and what does this word here?" she asks, pointing at a string of text.

I peek over her shoulder to see, "That's 'burbling'. It means a gentle bubbling sound like this."

I then summon a ball of water before having it swirl around, creating the desired sound.

"Ah! I see!" she exclaims.

It had been a few months since I began playing with Sylphy, and our playtime had quickly turned into me teaching her about what I knew, such as writing, reading, history, and general knowledge.

I didn't mind though.

Not only was Sylphy a nice girl who was eager and excited to learn, but refreshing my mind by teaching another person was a great way to retain knowledge.

She then closes the book and turns to face me with shining eyes, "Can we start with magic now?!"

Yes... and she also really loved magic.

"Haa... yeah, come on, let's do it then."

I was a bit hesitant to teach her magic, as unlike Rudy and I, Sylphy was a normal kid.

Not only were there dangers in giving a child such a powerful thing like magic, but there was also the worry that teaching her something like magic too early would lead to burnout, or something similar.

But, seeing how adamant she was... who was I to refuse?

Besides, it would be good to have her start using mana when she was young, so she could optimize the growth of her magic power reserves while she was young.

And also... if my theory was correct, chantless magic would be easier to learn as a child.

Even after all the time we spent together, and even though Roxy understood it, my teacher still couldn't use chantless magic. Though I felt she was getting closer.

If I had to guess, something about being a child made one somehow more 'in tune' with mana, as that would also explain the growth period of magic you could have during childhood.

"Okay, when you cast the magic, make sure you focus on what you feel inside your body. It should feel like a warmth starting here," I poke her belly, "that goes all the way to here," I continue, tracing a path to her palm.

My little display causes Sylphy to burst into a fit of giggles, "T-That tickles, Leon!"

Hee~? I guess Sylphy was ticklish, huh?