Chapter 17 - Birth

—-- Leon Greyrat —--

As time passed, the leaves changed from vibrant green to a myriad of red, yellow and orange, and a cool, crisp air replaced the previous summer warmth.

It was fall.

And that meant that it was nearing the expected time for my new siblings' births.

Which was why we were currently on a carriage, making our way to my home in Buena Village.

"Why can't you stay with us, Ghislaine? Aren't you meant to be my swordsmanship instructor?" Eris whines.

Ghislaine, on the other hand, simply shakes her head, "I was only tasked with guarding you to and from Buena Village. Besides, I will be guarding Master Sauros when he makes his yearly report of the harvest to the capital next week, so I would have been gone for some time anyway."

Eris huffs, "Then how am I supposed to train?"

"You have Leon there with you. And while Paul, Leon's father, is a terrible instructor, he is a wonderful sparring partner. His fighting style is unique, as it uses all three styles seamlessly. Be sure to learn from that experience," she lectures.

"Hmph. Fine, I guess," Eris pouts before turning to me, "Leon! Tell me about your family!"

"Well, there's my brother, Rudeus, who's two years younger than me. Before I left home, we were equal in terms of magical skill, but I had the upper hand in swordsmanship," I say.

She raises her eyebrow at this, "Really? As good at magic as you?"

I nod my head, "Yes. Well... except for healing and detoxification. That's why I'm heading back, after all. To make sure nothing goes wrong with the births."

Well, I wouldn't say Rudeus was worse, per se. But rather he couldn't cast those schools of magic chantlessly, while I could. By having chantless magic, I was also able to weave the mana to my bidding, allowing for freer control of what got healed and when.

"But aren't there people meant for that?" she asks.

"Midwives, yes. But they are not necessarily doctors. So if there are any health problems, I would be able to step in and make sure everyone is safe," I say.

"Hmm... okay. And? What about your parents?" she asks.

"There's my father, Paul. He is... well, how would you explain him, Big Sis?" I say, turning to Ghislaine.

"A womanizing scum with a tendency to get too far ahead of himself. Though, he is a good man at heart... and in bed."

There was no need for that last part, Big Sis...

"...He sounds dumb!" Eris exclaims.

"He is dumb. And he's married to my Mama, Zenith. She's a healer, and is also the nicest woman in the world," I say.

Eris gestures to my neck, "And she's the one who gave you that scarf?"

I shake my head, "No. That was Lilia. She used to be the family maid but then got pregnant after Paul fooled around and became his wife. She's part of the family now though, and I think of her as a second mother. So don't treat her disrespectfully."

Eris nodded her head in acceptance, knowing that I was issuing a serious warning.

"And lastly, there's Sylphy. She's not part of my family, but she is my only friend. But we spent so much time together that we might as well have been family," I say.

"Hmm. So she's like a sister?" she asks.

"No... just a close friend. She also has green hair," Eris' eyes widen, "and it's beautiful. If you bully her for it, I'll be very mad."