Part 37 - Broken, Polar Bear, not dead.

Crawling over to Job, Joko left the clean up to Tam. "Okay, let's get you over to the insertion point. We have better gear than the police do."

Job nodded and followed Tam, wondering when they would tell her exactly what she was doing. Then realization hit. It didn't matter, she was doing what she had trained for since she joined the force, even if it wasn't with the force. This organization, whomever they were, were giving HER, a lightweight, a chance to be the hero! "Yes, SIR!" She whispered, wondering if her glee showed.

Joko glanced backed, hiding his smile. An eager youngster, he noticed, but if she did the job, he was sure that would settle down. He'd been eager too, on his first mission, as had Tam. He sighed, pushing back those memories. Better not to let them cloud his judgment.

They made it safely to the back of the building where two of his younger, and smallest team members stood, arguing about who was going into the narrow ventilation system, the taller, narrow one waving a small schematic around. "You're going, shorty!" His finger pointing at the gear on the ground. "How do you expect me to crawl around in there when I've got 20 cm on you?"

"Fuck that! I'm almost 6 kg heavier than you! I'll punch through that aluminum like it's cardboard!" The smaller one hissed back, his fists clenched. "We're both fucked, you know. We've only been selected since we just joined." 

"Wrong." Joko blurted out, working hard to maintain a straight face, as the men turned and saluted, military like. He took a deep breath. HE DETESTED WORKING WITH SPECIAL FORCES, especially newly dismissed special forces. "You were chosen because you were the smallest we have. You," He pointed to the taller one, "Stay. We need you to monitor," His eyes narrowed menacing, "Job's journey through the air system. You, go back to the team."

They both nodded and the short one took off at a dead run. Job turned to Joko. "Sir? The ventilation system?" 

"Mm. We are going to send you in and then turn off electricity for the building. We hope that you can either drop into the condo from duct, and disable the kidnapper or, worst case, he goes out on the balcony and the sniper takes him out." Joko shrugged. "Either way, situation over. Can you do it?"

"Yes, Sir!" She bent down and immediately began to strip off the gear that was unnecessary, leaving only her tank top, and pants, with a strap on thigh knife, a multi-tool at her waist. From the pile, she selected a breathing mask and then pointed to a pair of glasses. "What are those?"

"Infrared night vision." Joko was brief, as he watched her getting ready. Her motions were smooth, practised. They were something he would have chosen, would she? He nodded, as she slipped them in, but sighed when she passed up the tiny derringer gun. 

Job smiled, as she heard his small, almost invisible sigh. "Sir, I'm not comfortable using guns." She patted her thigh. "I am a black belt in several different martial arts, and very comfortable with my knife. I'll live." 

Joko nodded. He could accept that. "Then if you're ready, my team member will place the tracker on, and help you in the shaft. Good luck, Officer Job." He nodded and left, hoping they weren't making a mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gun arrived back at the safe house before Off did with Newwie. He sat in the car, wondering how he was supposed to help. He had also received the text from Tam, telling him that Tay had been kidnapped by the stalker. 

As the black car drove up, and New got out, he watched him run up the walk, and the door slam behind him, Gun started to shake. He couldn't do it. He wouldn't do it. This wasn't fair. Off wasn't being fair to him. He felt it coming out... all of it. 

He heard his door being opened and then, a hand on his arm. His hands tightened on the steering wheel. "You can't make me do this, Off. You can't."

"I'm done, Gun. I listened. But you know I don't do well with bullshit. YOU are the one who found him, weren't you? I recognized the coping techniques. They have "Gun" written all over it..." Off tugged harder, until Gun was buried in his arms. "You're an amazing person, a beautiful man and I love you. How long did it take for you to believe me?"