Part 42 - Dreaming Orca

Joko paced at the airport. It was a smaller one just outside of Bangkok, not the international one, that the small, private plane was flying into. Since they were technically a courier company, Tam had invested in two Cherokee Six planes, slower than commercial jet planes, but definitely more private. 

The problem was flying them depended more on the weather, so arrivals could be off by as much as an hour, depending on the headwinds, and if they needed to stop and refuel along the way. His phone rang and he pulled it from his pocket, gnawing on his inner cheek. "Yeah?"

"They arrested the Captain!" Job's voice was breathless. "He's in booking right now." 

"Rodger." Disconnecting, Joko glanced at his watch and swore. Both of the Tam's would be at the hospital right now, ensuring the room setup. Shaking his head, he decided this was too important to wait. He pressed #1 and waited. 

It went to voicemail. He didn't hesitate. He pressed #1 and listened to the ringing, knowing that Tam would answer this time. It was a pre-arranged signal, that no matter what time of day, or night, to answer. "Yeah?"

"The dirtbag is in booking." Short and sweet, Joko didn't mince any words. His toe tapped restlessly. "Have you seen any blowback from the mafia?"

"Not since the Head of the Family went to the precinct this afternoon." Tam was silent for a minute or two. "I'm going to talk with the wife. Get the package here safe."

"Rodger." Joko sighed deeply, and stared off in the distance, watching landing lights flick on. His fingers surreptitiously crossed. This had to be the client. Just had to be... 

~~~~~~~~~~

New felt slightly nauseous, as the winds dipped and tossed the small plane around. There were four people on board, a pilot, and two bodyguards, including him. He was envious of the bodyguards who appeared relaxed, almost sleepy, inside the small cabin. 

He felt a tap on his shoulder, and shifted in his seat. Bodyguard #3 was almost yelling, "Sir! We're landing soon. Is your seatbelt still done up?" New didn't bother to look at him, nodding his head. There were things that he'd done that were exciting, but this... well, this wasn't one of them. 

This was something he would file into his memory under terrified but doing it because he had to. He wondered if it was because of the way he felt, circumstances or because he was developing a severe case of claustrophobia. The radio crackled and he jumped, his fingers curling around the armrests. 

He closed his eyes as the small plane banked sharply, and he heard the one bodyguard whistle sharply. "Ain't it beautiful?" There was another whistle. "You know, mate, it's the one thing I miss, being private rather than still being in the service. Flying." 

New wanted to gag at the nostalgia in his voice. Instead, with a crack in his voice, "Are all of you former service men?" It was the first time any of the bodyguards had spoken about their private lives. Silence met his query. "Fuck, can't you just talk to me? I'm pretty close to having a damn panic attack here!"

A short pause, then #3 responded, "The service gives us good basic skills, Sir. Tam keeps us sharp, and it fits our personalities." A short laugh. "We're used to long drills, long periods of high alerts with nothing, for 6 seconds of high energy. If I was a civilian, I'm not sure what I would do."

Choking back a laugh, "You are a civilian. Tam may run his company like he's still in the military, but unless he's re-enlisted, and you're all spies... " New almost bit his tongue as the small plane touched down, the wheels screeching on the tarmac. It rolled for a few more minutes, and finally came to a halt. The pilot slipped out of his seat and opened the door.