Part 40 - Save an Orca, Learn to Swim Again

The Desk Sergeant stared at his new orders. He had spent the last twenty four hours gathering solid, physical evidence of his Captain's corruption. It extended further than he expected. He rubbed his temples, and sighed. How blind had he been all these years, to sit at his desk and not question?

In almost all departments, from lowly traffic officers, right up to the detectives and captains, everyone was on the take. He had two of his hand picked officers going through bank records of his station right now. Less than half had been done. He glanced at his drinking buddy and wanted to reach over, and choke him, wondering how many innocent men had their lives ruined, because of a few fucking Bhat?

He sighed, stacking the documents and the corresponding complaints and notices from lawyers, family members and even newspaper articles that somehow suddenly "disappeared" from the headlines. In over half of them, the lawyer that had represented the perpetrator had been Sayen Sangenthian. 

So, he knew there had to be a connection between this man, Sayen Sangenthian and the Captain but what? Currently, he had newly appointed detective, one that he knew was clean, investigating the man. Suddenly, his phone vibrated and he pulled it out of his pocket. His eyes narrowed dangerously and his hand clenched.

They had been looking for the past five years for a drug dealer named El Captain. No matter how much coordination with the DEA, he kept slipping under the radar. They KNEW there was a mole inside either the DEA or the Police, but he never fell into any trap. "You fucker..." 

El Captain IS THE CAPTAIN. 

"You fucker..." He whispered again. "How many died because of you?" He watched the Captain walk into the station and wave, greeting everyone as if everything was normal. He smiled and nodded at his greeting but his eyes were like obsidian. As he disappeared into his office, he promised to every person hurt, or done wrong by that man. "I'm going make him pay. I promise, this time, he's not walking free, no matter how fucking long it takes."

~~~~~~~~~~

Sayen Sangenthian sighed at the notice that his last client was under arrest in less than 24 hours. He pushed the paperwork aside, picked up his phone and tapped out an email, sent it and only then called the Captain. When he answered, it was short and sweet. "Worth my time?"

"No, lost cause. He's DOA." Sayen didn't respond, only hung up, crossing off the stalker case from his workload. The Captain would take care of "loosing him" at the station, or assign him a public defender. It didn't matter to him. 

What mattered to him was money. He knew his hands were clean. He was paid for a job, he did a job. He did not get involved in what his employers did. 

He could ignore the small voice in the back of his head that was saying, "It's going to end. Come clean." He had nightmares, sometimes, about the fact he was a lacky, working for the mafia. But the nightmares about turning state evidence against the mafia, especially knowing that a Captain in the Police force was also working for the Mafia, made him tremble in fear. 

Who knew how far up the feed chain they had their spies? He had to support his mother and sisters. So far, with them living high in the mountains, he was sure the mafia didn't even know they existed.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Tams had been busy. Ms. Tam sighed and stretched. "The lab has the samples you took. I hired an excellent lawyer to represent Tay on the home invasion and assault." She closed her eyes and leaned back. "I am concerned at how we are going to keep this quiet and out of the media."

Tam shrugged. "I am not worried about Tay Tawan. He actually has a good head on his shoulders. Less emotionally invested in the court of public opinion than New, more grounded. If it comes to being in the spotlight regarding this and justice, he will do it. He can see a bigger picture easily, to the detriment of his personal life, unlike New."