twenty nine.

A breeze of unfamiliar cool washing over me makes me shift, reaching out to pull myself closer to Joe, only for my hand to find cool emptiness in return. What? Immediately, I open my eyes, looking around the room to find no one around, the curtains keeping it dark and the door to the bedroom pulled shut. I open and close my mouth a few times, it being dryer than normal. Ew. I must've slept with my mouth open for part of the night. Reaching over to my water, I down half of it, immediately getting the overpowering urge to run to the bathroom to empty my bladder. I sigh once I'm done, washing my hands, followed by my face, and then leave the room. Where the hell is he? Peeking into the few rooms on the way to the stairs, I make my way down them, hearing a few keys from the music room down the hall. I let out a light breath, my body instantly relaxing. I walk to the door, push it open, and lean against the frame, a pout on my lips as I stare at his back, watching as he plays the keys over and over, trying to work through a melody.

"I feel your eyes," he chuckles after a moment, turning on the bench and facing me.

"It's Christmas and I woke up alone," I tell him, still pouting.

He gasps lightly, pretending to be shocked at himself as he stands and makes his way over to me. "I am so sorry. I will never again get the undeniable urge to write music about you on Christmas."

I small grin pulls at the corner of my lips. "About me?"

He chuckles. "It's always about you."

I roll my eyes playfully.

"Merry Christmas, my love," he tells me, pulling me close, kissing me, and then letting me simply be in his arms for a moment.

I grin up at him. "I wanna give you your present."

He chuckles. "Aren't you giving me enough?"

"What do you mean?!" I squeal, looking at him in shock.

"You're literally growing a human," he tells me, chuckling.

"Yeah, but I got you this before I started growing the human."

"Ahh, that makes sense," he shrugs.

"Come on," I tell him, tugging him out of the room, up the stairs, and into our bedroom where I grab a box from the top of the closet, grinning widely as I hand it to him.

"When did you even put that in there?" he asks, confused.

I giggle, sitting on the bed and gesturing for him to sit with me.

He does as I request, grinning now. "Are you feeling okay?"

I nod. "I am, actually. Now open."

He grins, pulling off the bow and opening the unwrapped box, his face falling as he looks inside, slowly reaching in and grabbing a few things, looking through it slowly before raising his eyes to connect with mine again.

"You hate it."

"Are you kidding me?" he asks, shocked at the statement. "Baby, is this... when did you have time to do this?"

"Mostly when you were preparing for tour. But I had to finish it on the road, so it took a bit," I shrug.

"You found something to represent everything we've ever been through and attached..." he pauses, trying to figure out what one of the white pieces of paper attached to the item was.

"A note... or page. Explaining the significance to me personally, how I felt, or how grateful I was for the moment," I tell him softly.

He gives me a look of disbelief before rummaging through a few of the objects and shaking his head. "Your gift beat mine."