forty nine.

"I'm nervous," I admit as Joe and I watch Willa chow down on her breakfast.

"I know," Joe says, squeezing my hand gently. "But we're going to be with her and Jessica all day."

"I know, I know." I sigh, closing my eyes for a moment before looking at Willa again. "I know."

"She's gonna be here any time now, is there anything you want to do before she's here?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm good."

I continue to watch Willa eat, giggling lightly at her shoving the food in her mouth until there's a small knock on the door, Joe immediately rising and squeezing my shoulder reassuringly before going and opening the door.

"Hi, Jessica, how are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?" she asks.

"Good, good. You can set your things wherever. They're right in here," he says before they appear a moment later.

"Oh, my goodness, she's adorable," she gushes.

Joe chuckles, nodding.

"Hi," I smile, offering her a chair which she takes, sitting down. "Was the travel too bad?"

"No, not at all," she shakes her head, smiling.

I nod. "Good, so this is Willa."

"Hi Willa," she smiles at her.

Willa, however, simply stares at her for a moment before looking back at me.

"It's okay," I tell her, nodding.

"Mama," she says, reaching her hand out towards me.

"I'm right here, mama's not going anywhere, baby," I tell her, nodding.

Don't overreact. The more you react, the more she reacts.

"Mama," she says again, whining more this time as she starts to wiggle in her seat.

"Hey, hey," I tell her gently, now getting up and sitting next to her instead. "It's okay, eat your breakfast." I pick up a piece of her toast, offering it to her though she pushes it away, stretching her body out as she reaches for me. I sigh, picking her up and placing her in my lap where she lays her head on my chest.

Joe chuckles. "Believe it or not that's better than I thought it would be. She's not used to being around new people."

Jessica nods. "Yeah, I'm sure. I mean, no offense taken, you said she's been home with you her whole life, right?"

I nod. "Yeah, she's never had anyone but family around."

She nods. "Yeah, I get it. No worries."

"Willa, what do you want to do today?" Joe asks, giving her a look.

She giggles, her head still tucked in my neck.

"I say," I begin. "We play, and maybe we can find a park nearby?"

Joe raises his eyebrows. "Wanna tackle a park today?"

I shrug. "I feel bad keeping her locked inside all the time."

He nods. "I know, me too. Sounds like a plan. Play at home, play at the park, eat some food, take some naps and call it a day."

"Would you guys be opposed to some art too?" Jessica asks.

"Not at all," Joe shakes his head. "Got any ideas?"

She grins. "Not really. I mean, one thing I love to do is get a pretty decent sized canvas and spell out their name in painters tape and then let them just go ham on it with finger paint. Once it's dry I pull the tape up and it's a really cute name art piece."