fifty seven

"I'm nervous," I sigh, playing with my curls as I stare into the mirror, wanting my appearance to be nice with the night we're about to have.

"Me too," Joe sighs, entering the bathroom.

"Where's Willa?" I ask, noticing he doesn't have her.

"Jessica is here," he says. "Got here like five minutes ago."

I nod, touching up my makeup once more. "I suppose that means it's time to go."

He nods. "It is. It'll be fine," he says, rubbing my arms and squeezing my shoulders gently.

I lean my head back, laying it on his chest for a moment. "I'd feel a lot better about this if your mother wasn't going to be there."

He sighs, kissing my head. "I know. Honestly, me too."

I stand straight again, turning around and hugging him.

"Are you going to be able to eat? I know you've been feeling nauseous today."

"I'm gonna get something simple. Something I know I'll be able to get down. I'm glad we're going somewhere with pasta."

He chuckles, kissing me before placing his hand on my stomach and smirking.

I grin, shaking my head. "If we're gonna make it and sit before anyone else so they don't see my belly we're going to need to go."

He gives me a look. "You're wearing something loose; no one will know."

I laugh lightly as he gets on his knees, cradling my small bump.

"Hi newest princess," he says. "Tonight is a big night. Daddy and Mommy are going to tell Daddy's family about you. We just hope they're as excited as we are. Wish us luck, princess. And be easy on Mommy tonight, it's already gonna be rough."

I grin, shaking my head as he places a kiss on my belly before standing and kissing me again. "You are something else."

"You picked me to be your baby daddy, so I don't wanna hear shit."

I laugh. "Let's go."

We walk downstairs, Jessica and Willa sitting in the middle of the living room playing.

"Mama!" Willa says, jumping up and running over.

I pick her up, giving her a big kiss on the cheek. "Hi, baby! Mama and Dada are going to dinner. You're gonna hang out with Ms. Jess and then we'll see you in the morning."

"No."

"Yes," I tell her, nodding once. "Mama and Dada have to go to dinner. You're going to have so much fun with Ms. Jess."

"No," she says.

"Give Daddy kiss," I tell her.

Joe walks over, puckering his lips.

She leans towards him, and he kisses her.

"I love you, princess," he says.

"Mommy's turn," I tell her, and she does the same with me. "Okay, mommy is gonna give you to Ms. Jess now. You're going to have so much fun, I love you very much and I will see you in the morning."

"No!" she says before starting to cry as soon as I hand her to Jess.

"I love you, baby," I tell her once more before walking out of the house with Joe.

"I am very proud of you right now," Joe says, opening my car door for me.

"That was so hard," I say, pouting.