Goodbye For Now

I woke up to the sound of the alarm and slowly tore my eyes open. I reluctantly got up and realised that Guro wasn't in the room. I walked into the lounge but she wasn't there either.

"Guro?" i questioned.

I heard rustling in the hallway so i went to see if she was there.

"Hey, i'm about to make breakfast. What would you like?" she asked setting down her suitcase and backpack next to each other.

"You've already packed?"

"Yeah, i woke up like an hour and a half earlier and i reset the alarm so that you could have a lie in, although, i don't know how i didn't wake you up because i dropped the suitcase when i was getting it down and it made a huge bang." she laughed.

"I must be a heavy sleeper" i giggled. We walked into the kitchen and i started looking through the cupboards to find something we could have. "We don't have much in, apart from these old porridge oats" i said pulling them out from the back of one of the shelves.

"That'll have to do then"

"I swear if we get sick because we've had out of date oats its all your fault"

"Rena i don't think oats can go out date" she shook her head and laughed at me while moving to grab two bowls and then two spoons.

I poured some milk into the bowls and then added the oats. We took our breakfast and sat at the table to eat.

Once we had finished i took our bowls and placed them in the sink and then went to quickly get dressed. After i had finished that i brushed my teeth and went back out to find Guro with her coat on and her backpack over her shoulders. She had her suitcase ready and her shoes onto.

"Is it time?" i asked.

"Yeah, i'll see you tomorrow right?"

"Yep, i booked my flight last night. Would you be able to pick me up from the airport?"

"Of course"

"Okay don't be late now, i'll see you tomorrow." i pulled her into a tight hug and pecked her on the lips. "Stay safe!" i said to her as she closed the front door.

I sighed but carried on with my day. You could say that i cleaned the whole house because i wanted to be productive, or that i wanted it to be nice for when we get back after the world cup. But the honest answer was neither, i did it out of stress. I was so worried that i wouldn't get called up for the world cup squad that i decided to clean out of all things.

The time was 12:36 right now and they start phoning the selected squad at 12. I was sat on the sofa with my phone on the side of me and the tv was on softly in the background, drowning out the sound of my knee bouncing in anticipation.

I checked the time again and it read 12:38. I turned to face the other way while thoughts of not getting called up riled through my mind. Although to break the tension my phone began to ring. I let out a gasp and picked up immediately.

'Hello, this is Renata De Santos speaking'

'Hello Renata, it's Sarina here. I wanted to call you myself and invite you to be part of the England national team and travel to Australia and New Zealand with us to take part in the 2023 women's world cup'

'Yes! I- um, i mean yes, i would love to do that. Thank you for this opportunity'

'I'm glad you're happy, we were very impressed with how you've been performing recently and knew straight away that you were going to be a key player for this competition. You have four days off after today before you need to be at St.Georges Park for training, as does everyone else. We're looking forward to seeing you'