fifty one

Chapter 51

I had rang him, texted him, left voicemails, even emailed him numerous times every single day for a month now.

He wouldn't reply.

Was this seriously it? Wouldn't he even give me a chance to explain myself? Not like there was much to explain... I was wrong for what I did. So many things were wrong about what I did. But this silent treatment wouldn't help. We had to talk about it. After everything, how could my stupid mistake end it? I had to at least know how he was feeling, what he was thinking.

Everyone found out about what I did that same night. They looked at me differently for a while, even Heidi which was understandable, but they had forgiven me now. However, their forgiveness wasn't the one that mattered here. It was his.

Heidi talked to me, said Tyler had never been through this before and it would be tough to get through to him and not to be surprised if he held a grudge for long. It was tough, alright. She told me to picture myself in that situation but I honestly couldn't. I knew he would never do that; despite his previous reputation he would be the one staying faithful.

Two nights ago, she advised me to go see him. Filled with nerves, I rejected her idea, making all sorts of excuses like 'I don't know his address' or 'I'm being too hasty'. But I wasn't, really. One month was a long time.

So I asked Keith for the address and prepared to leave, feeling very unprepared about seeing him on the other hand.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come along?" Heidi asked me again.

"I'm sure," I smiled, squeezing her hand. "I need to do this alone." She hugged me for about the tenth time that night. I admired how supportive she was. I didn't think I could do that if I was in her position.

My parents, Heidi, and I were all stood outside. After saying our goodbyes, I got into my car, flinging my bag onto the passenger seat. My hands were firmly wrapped around the steering wheel and I took a deep breath, rethinking this one last time. I pushed the key in and turned on the ignition, hearing and feeling the car come to life.

Turning to look out, I waved at my family when I saw a figure running towards us. Quickly, it caught up to my window and I rolled it down.

"Damn, I thought I'd miss you!" Daniel said, leaning over to catch his breath.

"Hey," I smiled. "I was wondering why you never showed up." That was a lie. Well, not completely. My mind had only drifted to Daniel momentarily but my main concern was always Tyler, Tyler, Tyler. My brain had no room to register anyone else's absence.

"I actually got you something for the ride," he grinned. "Since you aren't letting me accompany you—" which I would never allow, as it would be like rubbing salt in Tyler's wound, "—I picked up some of your favourite cherry pie!" He exclaimed, revealing a white polystyrene tray with a lid on it.

"You mean from Barbara's?" I was surprised. The pie from my first date with Tyler. I remembered mentioning the cherry pie to Daniel once when he expressed his dislike for them, citing how this particular one changed my opinion of them. He didn't know Tyler was the one who took me there.

"Of course," he said cheerfully. "You know, I tried one myself and I have to say you were right. These are delicious!"

"Hey, why has nobody taken me to this place yet?" Heidi frowned.