fifty three

Chapter 53

I was sat on the front porch, arms hugging my legs as I rested my chin on my knees. The sky was pitch black even though it hadn't even touched upon 7pm yet, and it was absolutely freezing. On my head was a black beanie that I pulled further down when the cold wind blew past my ears. I was waiting for Daniel.

I heard the front door close behind me. "Here you go," he said, passing me a mug of hot chocolate. I quietly took it as he sat beside me, sipping on his own. "So, what's up?"

I stared at my fingers that were wrapped around the mug, slowly feeling myself warm up. "Do you consider me to be your friend?" I asked, glancing up at him. He almost choked on his drink, looking utterly bewildered.

"Of course! You still have to ask after all this time?" He sounded upset.

"A week ago, I wouldn't have. Now I'm not so sure."

He remained silent while he figured out what happened one week ago. "A week ago was the wedding. Is this because I didn't make it to the aisle and you had to go with that jerk? Because I swear—"

"It isn't that," I turned to face him. "Look, Daniel, you have been such a good friend to me over the last year and a half. You supported me through a lot and helped me realise what I want in life. I just want to know if our friendship was based on a lie."

For a moment, I felt as though he knew what I was talking about but in an instant, that sweet, innocent face was back. I wasn't sure what to believe. "I have no idea what you're saying," he stood up, not facing me. I followed. "If— if by lie you mean because I've hidden the fact that I love you, then yes. Otherwise no."

"What? Love me? Are you feeling alright?" I was shocked. Sure, we had become very close over time but I would never have expected something like this. It was too strong of a word. How did he even get to that point?

He scoffed, turning to look at me. "You must be blind to not have noticed, Arissa. Bloody hell."

"Daniel, don't joke with me. This is serious–"

"I am serious! God, why would you think this is a joke?"

"Because we're friends! We were only ever meant to be friends!" I shouted.

"Oh, really? And who made up that rule because they certainly never told me!" He yelled back, raising his voice to match mine.

"No, this is all wrong. You know how I feel about Tyler," I tried to regain my cool so that he would, too.

"Tyler, Tyler, Tyler! Why won't you get over him? He left you! He left you crying on the corner of the street in the pouring rain and he never came back. When he did, it was with a girlfriend. Then he tried to ruin the day you worked so hard for, and you're still hung up over him? I understand you must have felt wonderful because 'the one who could not be tamed', you tamed. But that doesn't mean it'll last forever. He moved on while you're clinging on to the past."

"That isn't true. We love each other. We're back together, Daniel."

"Oh, I know you love him. But does he love you?" He said, continuing to go on and on. I decided I'd just have to talk over him if I wanted to get a word in the conversation.

"You're not listening to what I said! Tyler and I are back together!"

"What?" He suddenly said, stopping his massive rant. "Back together?" He stepped closer, and I could sense a wave of hostility overcoming him. "How? When? Why didn't I know about this?"