fifty two

Chapter 52

18 months later

Heidi's POV

"I'm not sure about returning yet. Maybe in another few months."

"No! Absolutely not! We barely got to see you in the last year and a half and now you're planning on staying there longer? I won't let you."

"Oh yeah? Things are going well here, I don't really have a reason to come back right now."

"Isn't your family missing you reason enough, you ass?"

He sighed. "Of course it is, but I—"

"Heidi, get off the phone and come help me!" Arissa called out to me, cutting off Tyler's words.

"Just a minute!" I shouted back. "I've got to go, Ty. We'll get back to this later."

"Who was that?" He asked, pretending he didn't recognise her voice.

"You know who," I said. "Arissa needs help with the wedding prep, I really gotta go!"

"What? Whose wedding?"

Just as I was going to tell him the truth, an amazing idea came to me. Yes. This was a way to get him back... in town and with Arissa. I mean, it was clear to me that neither of them were over each other. Now I would play matchmaker.

"Arissa's," I said. The line went silent for a minute. "I didn't tell you earlier because—"

"To who?" He almost choked on his words, not caring about what else I had to say. I smiled, knowing how much this was already affecting him. Maybe this was a little mean of me but the outcome would be worth it.

I didn't say anything, not because I was rethinking this whole plan but because I didn't know whose name to say. Panic mode on.

Then Tyler made the job easier for me. "Is it Daniel?" His voice was quiet and a little shaky. Panic mode off.

I jumped at the chance. "Yes! I mean... yeah, Daniel," I kept my voice low so nobody overheard this conversation. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm happy for her. Guess they were made for each other, after all," his voice drifted off. He didn't know how wrong he was.

"Guess so," I shrugged. "Well, I'll see you in a few months," I said. Now was the moment of truth. Did my plan work or not?

"No, I'll be back," he said. I mentally cheered. Success! "Only for you and mum."

Yeah, right. I laughed to myself.

"Can't wait to see you!" I exclaimed and quickly hung up before he changed his mind or asked me more questions I didn't have the answer to.

The hard part was next. Making sure nobody gave away the truth. After successfully luring Tyler back, I needed to get somebody on board to help me work things out. And who better than Alec?

"You told him what?" was his initial reaction. After explaining everything, it became a "you're crazy but I'm in." I knew there was a reason why he was my boyfriend.

So I spent the rest of the day with Arissa, making sure she would have no reason to panic on the wedding day. It was the first wedding she was organising so the pressure was truly on, especially since it was Drew trusting her with the responsibility of his big day. She aimed for perfection.

-

Arissa's POV

These final nights I barely got any sleep, I was so nervous. It was morning now. Exactly a week left before the wedding.