forty seven

Chapter 47

I walked into the building with a new found sense of determinism and purpose. If Daniel was one of the few people who could actually help me keep my family safe, I was prepared to forget everything that had happened. But the real question was; would he do the same?

I asked the ditzy receptionist where Daniel was and surprisingly she pointed behind me, managing to give a direction without me needing to force my way inside. Shouldn't she be stopping me or something? I thanked her and turned around, realising why she didn't bother trying. Daniel was stood right there, staring at me.

"What are you doing here?"

-

Arissa's POV

Tyler had left lunch midway for some unknown reason that I was desperate to uncover. But more importantly, I couldn't sit back whilst Jake (or whoever it may have been) prepared for another attack. The incident had to be reported and since Tyler wasn't in agreement, I'd have to do it myself. His reaction was my last priority given the circumstances.

"I'm done," I told my parents, standing up from my seat. I tried to leave ten minutes ago but they forced me to eat something first. I wiped my mouth with a napkin and pushed the chair in, backing away from the table. "I'll see you later," I said.

"Where are you going?" Mum asked, just as I thought I would get away without being questioned.

"I'm seeing Heidi," I lied. "It's been forever."

She smiled, nodding.

"I think it's better if either your mother or I drop you off. With the way things are, there's no way we're going to work and leaving you all alone," Dad said. He stood up, "I'll go get my keys."

"Dad, no!" I exclaimed. My parents looked at me strangely. "I mean, I can't have someone with me 24/7 and Jake's problem is with Tyler, not me. I love you for looking out for me but I'll be OK, honestly."

They didn't look convinced, uncertainty cloaking their faces. "We can't risk it. What if somethi—"

"I'm not a child, Dad! I can protect myself, I swear. Now please, let me go alone. I'm not going to live my life in fear of someone who has no intention of harming me." Despite what I was telling them, I didn't believe the words myself. Being Tyler's girlfriend made me a prime target and that fact had already been proven after Jake kidnapped me.

"Okay, I guess you're right," he agreed.

"Just be careful," said Mum. I nodded. Then I left before they could change their minds.

I drove straight to the police station. Seeing Daniel was going to be so awkward, and I felt guilty approaching him only when I was in trouble but I was helpless. The only other person I thought was trustworthy was the chief inspector, but asking for his help meant Keith finding out was guaranteed and I didn't want that.

The car park was fairly empty. I left my car towards the back and began walking until I noticed a familiar black vehicle. Unable to believe it, I approached the car and peeked inside, instantly noticing the tear on the passenger seat that I had a tendency to pick on. It was definitely his.

Why would he be here?

I rushed inside. "Excuse me, is Daniel King here? I really need to see him," I asked the receptionist. She continued to type on the keyboard of her computer.

"Well, he's popular today," she muttered to herself. Her eyes remained on the illuminated screen and after a while she looked up at me, "yes, he is. You'll have to wait though because he's with someone at the moment."