forty eight

Chapter 48

"We're so close now," Daniel said to Tyler and me. The three of us were in the cabin despite what had happened here three weeks ago. Better security was installed after we finally told Keith what had happened and the remnants of the fire were gradually being removed from the ground outside. Lately, this was where we came to discuss all plans and strategies because we knew we wouldn't be disturbed here. "We have Zach with us and Mark was easier to break than I thought. If he manages to get the briefcase we could potentially be done after the first hearing!"

Butterflies jittered about in my stomach due to nervousness but also excitement. The possibility of us being free of Jake and all the problems he dragged along with him felt surreal. "He needs to be extra cautious. Now that Jake has the court notice, he'll be doing everything in his power to save himself. Mark cannot get caught, for his sake and ours," I said.

The two of them nodded in agreement. "I'll warn him again. Don't worry, Arissa," Daniel said. He reached across and held my hand, squeezing it reassuringly. My gaze quickly met his and he pulled his arm back but when I looked at Tyler, he had made nothing of it.

Over time, Tyler had become more trusting of Daniel. I knew it was a positive thing but at the back of mind, I didn't really like it. It meant he took everything as just a friendly gesture but Daniel's feelings for me were only growing. I hated it but I couldn't speak to Tyler about it or my secret would be revealed, too.

As a result, I kept taking all my angst and frustration out on the smallest thing Tyler did, like accidentally pulling the duvet off of me during the night or opening the car window. I was pathetically directing my annoyance elsewhere and all it did was damage our relationship little by little. I couldn't blame Tyler for arguing back because he didn't deserve my constant complaints. But I never managed to hold back and always regretted it too late— when he stopped talking to me. Luckily, he didn't stay mad at me for long.

Tyler was stood silently with his arms folded. "I genuinely have a good feeling about this," he told us. I looked at him and smiled. If this was him before it was all sorted, I couldn't wait to see him truly happy.

"That's because you have me on your side," Daniel joked and we all laughed. "Anyway, I should head home since it's getting late. See you both in two days at court."

"Bye," Tyler and I said simultaneously, seeing him off to the door. We watched as he got into his dark blue Range Rover and drove away.

I started walking back to the living room whilst Tyler locked the door. There used to be a time when forgetting to lock it wasn't a big deal but now, even that didn't feel safe enough. I picked up the dishes that we had eaten from when two arms wrapped around my waist from behind. "Tyler!" I yelped. "You scared me!"

"It's not Tyler," another voice said. My heart pounded as I realised it was Daniel's. I dropped the cutlery, letting it smash into pieces and pushed him away from me. "Whoa!" He shouted and grabbed my arm when I tried to run away.

"Get off, you creep!" I dug my nails into his arm and he let go, giving me time to turn around. Shock filled me as I saw that it was in fact Tyler in front of me. "But—"

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"It wasn't your voice.. I—I swear," I mumbled, trying to convince myself rather than him.

"Of course it was, who else would it be?" He asked. Every inch of his face was shadowed by confusion. Warily, he approached me with his hands held out before him. When he reached me, I pulled him into a hug, feeling safer in his arms. "Babe, is something bothering you?" His hand brushed over my hair soothingly and his hot breath fanned my neck when he spoke.