Surprisingly Sweet

Tyla arrives today but I have no desire of meeting her after the way...stop it, Carter. You know Chace said he didn't mean it that way. You have to get out of your head, but either way I would not show up over there until she leaves. Summer stood beside me as I assessed a prosthetic leg for a middle-aged woman. She was a surfer and lost it in a shark attack.

"I don't understand why white people won't leave the ocean alone...you don't hear bout sharks attacking us. We stay our asses close to the shore."

"Summer,"

"Sorry but you know I'm right." She took this time to study a prosthetic piece up close and personal.

"Yamah is a sweet lady. She took up surfing in her late twenties, after her husband fell ill. It was a way to keep her mind off the fact he was dying."

"Aww, that sounds like a love story, minus fuckin Jaws trying to chew her up and spit her out."

"You need to expand your vocabulary...every other word is a cuss word."

"You more bitchie than usual, fighting with your men?" She chews loudly on her gum.

"No,"

"Liar." She folded her arms.

"You don't know me well enough to know if I'm lying."

"Well, I know you ain't drink no coffee all day but yet and still you keep pouring the old coffee down the drain and fixing more." She raises an eyebrow.

"If you focused that hard on your work you would own this place."

"I told you these niggas was gonna stress you out...I can barely keep up with one...I'd lose my mind with multiple."

I sighed. "Let's just focus on work."

"Fine,"

****************

I was cleaning up my office, about to head out but there was a gentle knock on my door. "Summer go awa.." I looked up to see Chace, with two dozen long stem roses."

"Hey beautiful,"

I stood up and he came walking to me. He handed me the flowers and lifted my chin to kiss me. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm wherever you want me tonight." He showed me his bag.

"What about Tyla?"

"She's not coming till later tomorrow...I'm all yours."

"I was about to get some food and head home,"

"If you cool with it, imma stay with you tonight." He took a seat in the chair, and I was standing over him.

I put the flowers on the table. "I guess I just need some clarification on my part in this."

"Let's get food, go back to your place and settle in."

He reached out his hands for me to help him up, but he pulled me on top of him. "We gon get this thing right and we gonna keep trying until we do...aaight?"

"Okay,"

I was telling Chace to pick out as much fruit as possible because I loved putting it in my water. He was busy analyzing the fruit and I found his seriousness hilarious. We decided on shredded beef tacos with Mexican street corn and Spanish rice for dinner.

"Get the flour tortillas, I can't do the corn ones."

"You crazy, the corn ones be hittin." He was a lil too excited.

"They fall apart, I don't have time for that."

"Carter," I hear my name and turn to see Aiden.

"Hello Aiden." I looked over at Chace who was completely ignoring us.