All Gone

Damien

Tyla was sitting on the floor with Camden playing with blocks when Chace came home. Camden tried to give her a hug, but she grabbed his wrist and gave him a block to redirect him. Chace sighed.

"Leave alone aaight."

"Hello big brother." She called from the living room.

"What's up sis," Chace walked into the living room. "Look like he tried to give you a hug."

"Starting this early on?"

He palmed his chin. "Just trying to understand why you would sell the house with everything in it."

"It was left to me and I'm able to do whatever I want."

"Old trophies, pictures, things that we can show Camden so he will know her...it's all gone."

"Imma put him to bed." I walked over to pick up Camden.

Tyla put her hand up. "I wasn't done playing with him.

I stood back.

"Yeah, well he has a routine and it's time for him to take a bath and go to bed. So please Dame, take him."

I went to pick him up and this time she didn't try to stop me.

Chace

"Mom's things are in storage but yes I did sell the house because I needed the cash."

"You a fuckin liar, you got over $300,000 from moms life insurance and I deposit money monthly into your account."

"You think you know everything I do? I could need money for anything."

"Not like you have anyone but yourself to worry about."

She smiled and I knew I hit a nerve. "I could always change that."

"You been threatening to take him back for a while now but won't even let him hug you. What kind of life can you give him?"

"I only have a couple of years left of school...I've matured."

"We love him Tyla, we have completely hung up our whole lives for him, and we don't regret any of it. Please, let him stay here."

"Fuck, just adopt your own kid. You and Damien together make a lot of money. Look at this house."

"No amount of money could replace Camden...a parent would know that."

She marched up to my face. "I suggest you and him start looking into a surrogate or adoption because im coming back for my son...who I actually birthed."

"You said he was ours; you gave him to us Tyla. You promised you would never do this, and I believed you. Now you retract your decision."

"You think I have to explain why I changed my mind? I wasn't ready then, but I am now."

"I have never asked you for anything Tyla and I would give you anything. I'm begging you to let him stay with us."

"I'll stay in a hotel," she went back for her purse and left.

"Why did you push her buttons?" I didn't see Damien standing there.

"She been planning on some sneaky shit for a while now. I just didn't say shit."

"Why not?"

"Cause I been praying she is bluffing but now I don't know."

"Why is she even here? I thought she just wanted to see him,"

I laughed. "She doesn't even call for his birthday or the holidays...think she care about seeing him."

"So why take him from us?"

"Because she can that's why...think she need a reason?" I walked over it the cabinet and took out a glass. Then pulled some Tequila from the bottom cabinet.

He pushed an envelope to me. "What's this?"

"His passport came in today...you know our whole joke about him seeing the world with us before he's eighteen."

"He still will."

"Need something to calm my nerves." Damien was visibly upset.

I walked over to him and hugged him from behind. "Let me take care of Cam tonight."

"I just feel like I need to get every single minute in with him I can. I don't know what's even going to happen."

"We can't just give up,"

"She's his biological mother and I'm all for children being with their parents...I don't wanna ever get in between that but fuck...we have been taking care of him since she pushed him out."

"I know, she left him the moment they released her from the hospital. She didn't even call until a month later."

"I get she suffered a loss, just like you but that doesn't make this shit right."

"Turn around Dame," he did as I said, and I hugged him.

I tried comforting him, but I didn't have a clue what I was going to do. I wasn't sure if she just wanted more money, or she actually wanted Cam. It's not like Tyla is a bad person, but we never agreed to this. She said he'd always be ours, she promised.

I smiled at Cam while he played around with trucks in his bubble bath. Dame turned the light off a few times so he could see the glow in the dark dinosaur's stickers on the wall. He laughed and we couldn't help but laugh too. We sing a few songs in his room and read a couple books, before tucking him in. We both kissed his cheeks, but Dame walked away quickly because the tears were coming. After he was nice and snug, I ran after Dame. He was on his knees in our room praying. I kneeled down beside him.

"You think God will answer my prayer even though I'm gay?"

"Yes," but sometimes I wasn't even sure.

He stood up and took a pillow and cover off our bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Imma sleep beside him on the floor,"

I grabbed a pillow too. "Let's go." We held hands and walked back into Cam's room. We dread the covers out in the floor, put our pillows down and pulled the other cover on top of us. Dame reached up into his bed to hold his hand and I held Dame. For the next ten minutes I listened to him silently cry, until he fell asleep.

Then the heavy breathing started, and I felt my chest tightening up. I sat up and pulled my head between my legs. The feeling in my chest got tighter and tighter. I had to think of something to calm me down, I tried really hard but not his was doing the trick. "Please God" I said in my head.

"Daddy," I looked over and saw my baby sitting up in the bed. "You otay? You have bad dream?" Cam got out of bed and handed me his stuffed dinosaur. I snapped out of it and hugged him.

"Thank you, baby,"

"It's otay..me and Dino keep you safe." He patted my back.

"Thank you, Cam, love you."

"Lub you too daddy."

******************

Tyla?

Damien?

Chace?

Sweet little Camden 🫶🏽

Like and comment

Thank you for reading.