Sampler

Carter
••••••••••••

Tanisha wanted to meet for brunch and bottomless mimosas. I had to fill her in on everything that was happening in my life. She waved me down when I enter the restaurant. She stood up to hug me. "Look at that booty poking out back there." She squeezed my butt.

"Thank you...guess my Pilate sessions are working."

"Or Damien and Chace working..." her tone was stiff.

"That too."

"I cannot believe you agreed to be with them..." she sipped her mimosa. "A one-night stand, okay. But a real functioning relationship."

"Well, tell me how you really feel?"

"Sorry but fuck!" She went for a different glass; we had a sampler of five different flavors. "I hated them both for you...it took me months to get you out that bed."

"I remember but they have been really good to me..."

"You're too damn forgiving and Dame knows that shit and I hate it, but you are grown."

"I know you have your concerns,"

"So, damn many of them."

I understand she's just being a good friend but damn she was making me feel like an idiot...was I being one? Were people laughing at me. Did I come across as pathetic?

"Anyways, what's going on with you?"

"Ugh...Spence wants another baby, but you know I suffered postpartum depression after Jr and honestly, I don't want more children."

"You just started at the law firm a couple years ago."

"Exactly, and I wanna pursue my career. I know I don't need to work but I didn't go to school all those years to be a housewife."

"Spence is understanding. I'm sure both of you will come to some type of agreement."

"I hope so," the waiter brought us some red velvet waffles, fried lobster and shrimp & grits. "So, do they plan on marrying you too or like what's the end game here?"

"We didn't discuss that,"

"Carter sweetie, they need to tell you exactly what's up. They aren't exactly the kind of niggas you can rely on."

"I'm good, okay Tanisha." I cut her off.

She put her hands up. "My bad,"

"You're coming off a bit abrasive,"

"I feel a bit apprehensive about the entire ordeal,"

"They have been treating me very good and I like what we're doing." I took a bite of my food. Who was I trying to convince?

She expressed no interest in what I was saying. Just stuffed her mouth with food, probably to keep herself from saying something hurtful. I twirled the fork around between my fingers. "I just don't agree with this,"

"Fuck Tee...ma'am can you please bring the check?" I put my hand in the air for the waitress attention.

"I can no longer keep shit real with you? Then imma just not say anything." She pulled her card out.