Again

Carter

"Carter," I wake up to Summer putting her finger to her mouth. "Shhh."

We listen, it sounds like arguing. "You can't be over here; you know he wouldn't want you here."

"I have a right to see my son."

"He despises you. We saw you bring our mom pain for years; you drained her. The numerous times she had to save you. You gambled everything away, down to the soles on our shoes."

I look at Summer. "Sounds like Tyla."

I pick up my phone and there's a few texts from Damien.

Daddy Dame: He's in bad shape
Daddy Dame: We found him!
Daddy Dame: We about to go get him baby. I love you and Camden so much
I'm scared but I have to be here for Chace
I have to make sure he comes back
I'm just thinking about your face right now & the way you talk lol it's helping me get through this
Wish I was laying next to you, safe and warm
I didn't ask you how you felt about any of this
That's kind of what's eating at me
Hope you get this, in case...
I just love you. Thank you for coming back to me.
This world is yours baby, you the smartest person I know. You can do anything.

That was so thoughtful of him to send me that text. A feeling of relief comes over me.

I try to call Damien and he answers. "Hello, hello
Dame."

"Hey baby, let me step outside for a second." I hear him grunt and then a door opens and closes. "Good morning beautiful."

"I'm so happy to hear your voice. Is he okay?"

He sighs. "He's safe but it wasn't easy, things happened that I'd rather not speak of."

"How is Chace?"

"Stuck to him like glue. They have been crying since last night, all of us have."

"Did you get my text about his dad being here?"

"Yes, I told you I would send Tyla, she came yet?"

"I didn't receive your reply. Yeah, she's in there now, I wouldn't have let him in, but I wasn't sure if they possibly reconciled their relationship. The way Tyla is going off, I don't think I made the right decision."

"It's okay. I'm not sure either, he doesn't talk about any of it."

"When can I expect you home...I understand you just found him, but I just wanna know, but if Khi needs more time then I get it."

"I'm leaving today with or without Chace. I'm coming home to you and Camden. We found Khi, he's safe. There's no other reason for me to stay here."

"Well, hopefully Chace comes back with you." I don't want to sound inconsiderate. I just want to touch them and confirm with my own eyes they're okay.

"Listen Carter, Khi was hurt pretty bad, this nigga Ton is... "He paused. "Khi is scared to be home alone, and I don't blame him."

"Where's Cario or his mom?" Again, I sound inconsiderate.

"He doesn't want his mom knowing and he's ashamed to be around Cario right now. So, I can't say how long Chace will be here."

I walk out into the living room. Tyla is frowning at her dad. "You were going to clean your son out?"

"Tyla, you overreact just like Tania."

"Don't say my mom's name. You don't deserve to ever say her name, after all the shit you put her through."

"You really gonna cuss in my face."

"And who are you exactly?" She stands her ground.

"Dislike me all you want, I'm still your dad." He sits down on the couch. "I ain't leaving until I see my son."