Hero

Chace

My hands are sweaty, no matter how many times I wipe them on my pants. Tyla said she was in town again. The last time we spoke, she was sure she was taking Camden. I was willing to go to war behind my son, but I wasn't sure if I would win. She told me to bring only myself and him. Damien was not having it. We went back and forth, he was crying.

"What if I never see him again? We don't know what the fuck she got going on. I can't let him go."

"Baby, she didn't seem upset,"

"She never really does seem upset, but that doesn't change a damn thing." He was helping Camden get dressed.

"She said she just wanted to talk,"

"and she couldn't do that here? I was the one that jumped to opportunity to take him for her. She treats me like a damn step parent. This is my son too."

"He is and nobody disagrees with that."
I tried putting my hand on his arm.

"She disagrees....or else I would be going with y'all." He helped him put on his shoes.

"It's k daddy Damen, it's k."

"Yes it is baby," he pulled him in for a tight hug. "I'll always be your dad, you can always come to me."

"Cam baby, give us a second for boring talk, okay?

He covers his ears. "Ew, boarding talk." He made a funny face and ran out the room.

"She's gonna do that shit today, I can just feel it." He walked around with his fist balled up.

"You don't know,"

"Yes I do and you think so too." He gave me a look like more was coming. "I know you been having anxiety attacks again. You been hiding it from me."

"Carter told you?"

"No, I see it but I don't do anything because I know you don't like for me to see you like that. But I know you worried too."

"What do you want me to do, take him and run?"

"We could. We have the funds and resources."

"Damien no, we can't be on the run. That will just make it worse."

"You said we'd fix this, you said we would figure shit out. The time has come and we have no plan. She's about to take him and..."

"Damien just calm the fuck down, aaight?" I took a seat on Camden's bed. I put my head down and noticed my legs were starting to bounce.

Damien looked over at me. "Oh shit Chace, I'm sorry baby." He came over by me and kneeled down in front of me. He rubbed my back as we both pressed our foreheads together.

"You right, I been stressed about it too...I just wanted to be strong for you." I cried.

"No, that's not how we do this...you don't suffer alone when you got me right here, got us."

"You right I don't have a plan and never had one...I just prayed, hoping the man upstairs hear me. I really fuckin need him to hear me." I tried to control me breathing. "I don't wanna lose Cam, I don't."

"Beg her, shit give her everything in our bank account if that's what she wants. Fuck this material shit, fuck pride. Don't let her take him."

"I plan on doing all of that...anything." I looked in his eyes. My vision a bit off from the tears.

"Come back with him Chace, please."

When he said that I dropped my head again. I lost it after he said that. I had no way of guaranteeing him I would. My chest felt like it caved in, my lungs collapsed. I tried controlling my breaths, it was like my supply of oxygen was cut off. I put my hands on the bed.