Chapter 29

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

I didn't want to talk about the possibility of dating Derek anymore tonight. I can't agree to dating him right now. Not without really figuring out if being with him is worth the risk. I know that sounds heartless but at the end of the day if 'us' doesn't work out, where would that leave me?

I sat on the couch and hugged a pillow to my chest. "So have you come up with your top two schools?"

"I've got it narrowed down. Still waitin' till I know for sure what we got going on."

I shifted uncomfortably and let out a long sigh. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. "Ohio could be great. I know you have other options too so wherever you go, I want you to be happy." He's going to be spending years studying and playing wherever he goes so he really needs to be happy about his decision.

"I looked up UBC's football team. They've done alright but I could turn things 'round."

"Your not staying in BC, Derek." My face contorted. "If I was given a scholarship to attend some IVY League school I'd jump at the chance."

"As long as I play good it doesn't matter where I am."

UBC won't give him the attention he needs to make it in the big leagues.

"It does matter, Derek. Go to Ohio, that was your first choice."

Derek kneeled in front of me, and put both his hands on my thighs. He leaned forward, "You'll be ok with the long distance thing?"

"I never agreed to date you."

"Not yet but you will." Derek removed his hands from my thighs and sat on the floor. He stretched out his legs and leaned back on the palms of his hands.

Derek didn't have to add a sly smile to show how sure he was that we'd be an item eventually. I don't want him to be so sure about us. Cory was certain he'd end up marrying Topanga but she wasn't so sure after that lodge girl put moves on him. We both need to be realistic.

I tossed the pillow I held to the side and stood up. I hovered over Derek for a moment and we just stared at each other. He was curious to know what I was doing and thinking.

I wanted to head for the kitchen just to clear my head but I ended up doing something I was not expecting.

I let out a pathetic sigh then straddled Derek's lap. I braced my hands on either side of his hips. "Your family will visit you. I'll-" I shrugged my shoulders, "put some of my earnings aside so I can visit you too. By the time I get there you'll know about the best places to eat and cool things to do so we can do that together."

A slow smile crept across his face before he spoke. "Sounds like a date to me."

I frowned and glanced behind him. This is not how I was hoping for this to go.

"Say yes, Lia." Derek pushed up from leaning on his palms then sat straight. "C'mon." He took my chin in his hands. "One date that's all I'm askin' for."

One date will turn into two dates. I know how this is going to turn out. If I'm so happy and comfortable around him right now---that's how it will be on the dates. By saying yes it would be like I'm committing to a life time with him--which wouldn't be the worst thing but you get what I mean. I can't be into him if he's my foster brother.

My hands latched onto his wrists pulling his hands from my chin. "If--I agree to this one date you will have to promise no one can ever know. And if it goes wrong and we hate each other again no one can know that we do either. Promise me that and I'll give you one date."

"Sure."

Although he was trying to hide it I could see a spark in his eyes. It made me happy to see him happy. Course I was more terrified then happy.

This better be one really good date.

I pressed my lips together. "So when do you want to do this?"

"10 tonight. Wear something warm with your bathing suit underneath."

"What is with you and swimming?" I asked.