Chapter 57

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

A/N: rated mature.

" I meant to behave but there were too many other options" - unknown

The book club discussion eventually started, giving Derek and I time away from the wandering eyes.  For some random reason many of the Palmers long time friends felt it was appropriate to share their favorite memories of us together.  Hayden was involved in a few of those memories but most of them were about Derek and I——the inseparable bond we shared.

Their words, not mine.

"Hayden," I called.

"Kitchen."

I found him sitting at the kitchen table reading a car magazine and drinking a can of iced tea.

"Soo I told Sam." I would of told Derek first if we were talking but I wanted to share the good news with someone. "I think we're going to be okay."

"Good, Kahli. I was wondering when you were going to tell her." Hayden laid the magazine flat on the table and took a gulp of his drink.

"I knew I had to as soon as I realized my friendship was on the line. I need her in my life."

"Great. Guess I now have to accept that the phone might be busier again and the washroom might be taken more."

I laughed and leaned against the kitchen counter." Did Derek leave? "

Hayden put the can down on the table and said, "Last I saw him, he was talking with memmie in the backyard."

"Mhmm, I should go out there. You know, talk to him about a few things."

"About Sunday?"  He had a knowing look.

"H—How'd you find out?"

"Jacob. He won't shut up about it."  Hayden huffed in annoyance. "He keeps talkin' about it in front of Derek too. It's been overkill."

I wasn't surprised Spellman was telling his friends about it. I felt a little sad knowing Derek's had to listen to it and not say anything back.

"You really gonna do it?"