Chapter 47

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies." -unknown

"I need to know if it's true."

"No," he answered immediately. "Not exactly."

"Which part isn't?" My stomach surged at the thought that he could ever be apart of something so degrading. " All this time you and Spellman had a bet going for who could get me 'bedded' before graduation?" I inched away from him, my back firmly against the headboard of the hospital bed.

"This was when you got to Parkland, Lia. I've kept guys away from you the entire time so you wouldn't have to do shit with anybody. Yea I agreed to it then but I've never been cool with 'beddin' you."

"Is that suppose to make any of this okay?" I said my voice low. " When did you not become cool with sleeping with me huh? When you found out about what happened to me? Is that when I became completely off the market to you?"

His face is tense. "I've never let anyone have you, Lia." He inched forward, his face is so close to mine. "Did I think we would end up together? Never. But I do want you like that, eventually. Doesn't have to be graduation or until you graduate collage."

"And until then?" I asked weakly.

"Spellman will stay away." Derek pressed his hand to my cheek. "But I tried to get out of it, you have to believe me. He thought I was kiddin'. " His forehead touched mine.

I frowned and pulled back. "When you started those awful rumors about me, you were trying to keep away the boys from wanting that too."

"I still kept them away even before I knew about your mom and John, Lia." He said. "No one would be good enough."

"And you think you are?"

Derek gave me a conflicted look and touched his lips to my forehead. "I'll never be good enough for you. Sure won't stop me from tryin'. "

I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. "I can't believe you agreed to something like this. I'm surprised. I mean I knew you were different when I got to school but agreeing to that bet seems even lower then some of the rumors you started about me." It hurts to know that they think i'm just some fresh meat they can have for one night, say they had some, and then throw out like some trash. This could be any girl at Parkland..

Jessica and Sam walked into my hospital room just as Derek and I sat quietly in silence. Neither of us knew what to say. Sam was carrying a box with Mcdonalds to one side and a stack of magazines to the right.

Jessica was the first one to recognize the elephant in the room. "What did you do now, Derek?"

"He brought me the wrong clothes, it's okay."

I wished I had asked Derek what happens when neither or just one succeeds in the bet.

**

The doctor released me later that day, of course he had a strict no work policy until I have a follow-up. Not being able to work left me feeling stressed considering I'll have a bill come in the mail pretty soon with the amount I need to pay for my hospitalization.

Mr. Palmer set everything I'd need upstairs so I wouldn't have to do much walking besides to the washroom and back.

It was nice the Palmers were wanting to take care of me. I just hated that I had so little to do.