Chapter 38

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

High School Memories

the thing that connects us to our high school past

is what we remember

whether its the heat of August

or the cold of December."

-Marco Jimenez

        I was happy when I got the call from Sam that her sister decided to go with the Glow In the Dark theme. It's for the best that she goes for a more tamed plan because it would be too risky to go with some of the other ideas she's brained stormed over the last couple of days. What was she hoping to do, get expelled right before graduation?

Jess had already nominated Sam and I to have the unfortunate pleasure of making the party arrangements. Sure Jess would be involved in making decisions but it was up to Sam and I to convince her to go through with our ideas.  She almost making this into some juvenile competition when all Sam and I wanted was to get over the planning quick to get back to our regular lives.

Jess is making this planning meeting into a regular occurrence. It has been tough to manage my time and---keep my job description from being found out. Jess and Sam could not understand why we had to make these meetings so early on in the day.

"There will be body painting and what about glow in the dark bowling? I saw something on pinterest where if you drop glow sticks in a water bottle, you can use them as bowling pins. How awesome is that?!"

"That is pretty cool, Jess," Sam said. "Should we consider hiring someone to bar tend too? I found a few recipes for colored drinks. We'll just need someone skilled to make them."

"I was thinking the same thing.  We can even have them make glow in the dark cocktails." Jess added, grinning, her eyes light up.

Jess asked for my opinions every once in a while but the girls know that I'm not much for planning. I'll leave the ideas up to them because we both know at the end of the day, it's whatever Jess wants. It's her vision and Sam and I are just there to make sure it happens and goes well.

My thoughts shifted to Derek as I felt a sudden weight to the necklace he gave me, hiding underneath my sweat shirt.  I've never been given something so simple and so meaningful before. The necklace just reaffirms how very serious Derek is about me and—in a strange way I needed that reassurance.  He makes me believe he is serious about the idea of an us on a regular basis----but I sometimes forget it in all the confusion of it being a secret. 

Derek's turned my world upside down again. I've come to the realization the more time I've spent with him that being with him---loving him is like breathing.  How would I be able to live with myself if something were to create distance between us now?  I wouldn't be able to live without him now. I'm too invested in the idea of being with him forever—even if that means more separation till I graduate high school.

Sighs, I guess I could be thinking too far ahead.