Chapter 49

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Surprise is key in all art." - Oscar Niemeyer

I couldn't believe what I was reading. How could she be so irresponsible?! Regardless of who she was sleeping with before she was arrested on those prostitution charges, she should have been more careful!

I felt so betrayed.

My voice began to quiver. "She's dumb." Tears rolled down my cheek. "She has to be the stupidest person I know."

An innocent baby will be born into a dysfunctional household.

She's selfish!

This baby will not be able to defend itself. He or she will say the word drunk before mom. This baby will not have a mother to rely on or a father to run to.

Nothing will be different.

My mother can promise the world to the baby but at the end of the day she's still sick.

I've tried to help her and that failed.

Rehab tried too and she had to go to jail.

I wiped my tear stained cheeks with the back of my hand then ripped the letter in half. "I'm not raising a baby for her, Marie. This baby deserves better. Please tell me you can do something. Please!"

"I've left a voice mail with her lawyer. We'll have to wait to hear from him."

**

I listened to Marie and Mrs. Palmer talk as I laid on the couch in the living room. Mrs. Palmer wrapped me in a blanket when she thought I had fallen asleep while they discussed the situation.

I wouldn't be able to sleep now even if I wanted to. My life has changed again.

I stayed quiet as I listened to them.

"Mrs Reinhart is a good woman but she's lost, Marie. I don't know how comfortable I feel knowing she may be able to raise this child in her current state."

"I agree, that's why I already tried to reach her lawyer. I'd like to know what her plans are for this baby. She has options she should consider."