Chapter 48

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you." - unknown

Hayden flipped through the channels on the T.V until he got to the sports channel.

I would have made a fuss about watching the sports channel if i wasn't so distracted by the news of this stupid bet Derek got himself involved in.

My mind was racing.

I felt guilty that Derek was stuck in this war with Jacob. Ideally, I'd want to help him get out of it but I'm not going to offer myself on a platter if that's the only solution.

I was angry that this bet had to involve me.

"I need to ask you something and I want complete transparency."

Hayden lowered the volume on the T.V. " Sure, go for it." He shifted in his seat so he was looking at me.

"You're on the football team so you would know about a certain bet involving me. I just want to know what you know."

"Mhm, maybe you should talk to Derek first."

"I talked to Spellman and Derek. Now I want to hear it from you." I poked his chest. "You owe me for traumatizing me at that stupid school dance. Dare I repeat what I walked in on?"

"Okay fine." He said almost immediately. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything you know. When it was arranged? Why did it involve me? Was Derek really against it from the beginning? What's the punishment? I need to know every last detail."

I already knew most of the details but it doesn't hurt to hear another persons perspective.

He began to tell me that when I first got to Parkland High school there was a part of Derek that wanted to make amends. He was conflicted. Spellman must have noticed so he arranged the bet to put a stop to any potential reconciliation. Why Spellman arranged the bet Hayden still doesn't know.

Hayden explained that Derek did his best to arrange that the bet had to be completed before their graduation and not any sooner. He tried to prolong it as best he could. Spellman originally had it so they would have to complete the bet by the first 2 months of my grade 8 year.

Derek had Hayden help divert Spellmans attention away from me by making up elaborate rumors. No one was going to be anywhere near me. Hayden said Derek was concerned that Spellman would make the bet open to all eligible males so they had to keep him occupied with football and college girls.

"We thought we were in the clear, Kahli. We didn't hear a thing about it. Then I asked you to the dance and you were back on his radar. Derek's still pissed off at me for asking you."

"That's why he was calling me all angry about agreeing to go with you." Everything was starting to make a bit more sense. "He's pissed off at you for stirring Spellman's interest in me."

"I wouldn't have asked you to the dance had I known this would start up again. I'm sorry, Kahli."

I took a deep breath and brought my knees up to my chest. "Let's say that Spellman wins hypothetically do you think he would ruin Derek's chances of maintaining those scholarships? Would he really be that cruel?"

" I don't know but I wouldn't count on him being the bigger man at the end of it."

I don't want Derek to lose his scholarships but then I don't want to have sex with either of them.

What's the solution here? What are we suppose to do to fix a problem like this?

I think we have to find a way to get someone else involved with this bet. Some other girl that could swap places with me. Some desirable college girl. Then we have to get Derek swapped with some other guy.

We'd have to create a new bet.

**

Marie my social worker delivered another note to my door on my day off. It was another letter from mom. Marie made a point that she'd like to stay with me as I read the note. I guess it's another one of those tough reads.

Dear Kahlia,

I have some news. I wanted to tell you the news before my lawyer gave you a call. He should be calling in the next few days.

Before I tell you, everything will be alright.

I'm pregnant.

I know this will be a shock and we'll have to figure out the minor details later but I am happy. The doctor at the jail thinks I'm about 23 weeks along already but I won't know for sure till I get an ultrasound. It will be figured out when I get to see an OBGYN.

The test they gave me at the rehab came out negative so it must have been too early.

I'm still in shock myself but I think this will be good for all of us. My lawyer thinks he may be able to get me out early because of the news. Wouldn't it be great if I came home early? We could have a baby shower and do all those exciting baby things together. Oh I'm so excited!

This is it, Kahlia. I'm going to be the best mom. I'm going to do right by this child I promise.

I love you. Expect a phone call for my lawyer.

Mom