Chapter 4

>>Jessica

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

When I was in Kindergarten, I was the last person in my class to know how to swing on the monkey bars. Kids were so cruel. They'd push me towards the monkey bars and tease me relentlessly.

"Baby!" , they'd say.

"Chicken!" another would call out.

One day I just had enough and made my way to the bars at recess. I made sure I was the first one there as soon as the recess bell rang to ensure I'd get my turn.

This was the moment I would prove them wrong.

I'd been halfway, my legs swinging beneath me, when my hands became sweaty. ---The nerves surely getting to me. I slipped and landed on the ground, in front of a bunch of my classmates.

I scraped my hands and my knees were bloody; yet no one bothered to ask if I was okay. They proceeded to laugh and point fingers at me.

I wanted to cry and tell on them but there was no reason I needed to. Someone saw what happened, and he was the only one to rush to my side.

Derek.

He made a promise to me when I started elementary school that he'd protect me for the rest of his life.

And there he was, like a knight in shining armor, he kept his word.

I lifted my chin in his direction.

Derek reached out, grabbing the hood of my jacket. He lifted me up till I was standing on my own two feet. "Lia, you okay?" He asked, and then looked at the other kids who were watching us. He gave them a cold, icy glare.

Everyone looked away in a hurry.

Derek crouched down in front of me so we were eye level. "You okay?"

I looked up at him from under my lashes. "I want monkey bars too."

"We're practicing at home."

"They laughed at me, Derek."

"I know, kid. We'll get there. I promise."

**

Tuesday after school, Jess and Sam dropped me off at my place before heading home themselves. They originally wanted to come hang at my place for a while but I said no. With the outside of the house looking un-kept with weeds galore and uneven grass, I knew it wasn't smart to invite them inside. The inside of my house is far worse.