Chapter 66

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"So I close my eyes to old ends, and open my heart to new beginnings." - unknown

Mrs. Palmer suggested I let my mom sleep and bring Elliot with me to the room just next to door. We made sure to ask the nurses first if it was okay to go in there.

I stretched out my legs on the bed and had Elliot between my legs, nicely snuggled in his  grey blanket.

Elliot was rocking a onesie that said "Hello World" tucked into black sweats.  I had him wearing matching mittens and a hat earlier but I was afraid he was too warm.

I read from a baby book that you have to be careful about a newborns temperature.

Elliot was a cutie---maybe the cutest baby in the world but I would be biased in saying that.

I just loved him so much already. It's an overwhelming love, really.

I stroked his chubby cheeks with the inside of my thumb  and leaned forward  to kiss his forehead. He was a sweet surprise indeed.

**

A faint knock at the door, woke me up from a nap.I ended up falling asleep after giving Elliot a bottle. He was now sleeping soundly in the bassinet next to the hospital bed.

"Come in,"  I said between a yawn.

The door creaked open and I was surprised to see Derek standing there. He had a small bouquet of flowers in one hand, and a bag slung over his shoulder.

I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hand and blinked. "Uh, I must be dreaming."

"I hope not, because I'd be missing class for no reason then."

I rubbed my face and looked over at Derek in the doorway. "Hi," I said in a small voice, feeling the tears starting to burn my eyes.

I had no idea why I was crying. I wasn't the one who had just given birth and have my hormones all out of wack.

Derek settled his bag down on the ground by the door and walked over to the bedside.  He put the bouquet of flowers on the moveable tray that was pushed into the corner of the room.

I sat up and knelt on the bed, wrapping my arms around Derek's neck as he came back to my side.  "What are you doing here?!" I asked as he grabbed the backs of my thighs, lifting me off the bed. I wrapped my legs around his waist, hugging him tightly as he walked to the bed and sat us down.

"I jumped on the first plane I could when my mom called."

Derek had promised me in one of our phone calls that he would be here to meet my brother. I knew not to get my hopes up because of how busy he was with school.  I couldn't hold him to a promise.